Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish relationship to PlusNet

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Madasafish relationship to PlusNet

Hi there,
Yesterday I was helping someone set up a wireless network "properly" using a Belkin router already configured and working (for ages) on Madfasafish.
We had some very weird authentication issues along the way on both the original router and a spare that we tried. Eventually resolved by a call to Madasafish support but still not really explained and understood.
I know Madasafish is related to PlusNet somehow as a business. Can anyone explain that briefly and also (especially) if this extends to sharing technology platforms and/or support systems and staff?
15 REPLIES 15
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Madasafish relationship to PlusNet

Hi there,
We bought Madasafish recently but the support team has not changed, it's still the same guys on the phones as before. We're in the process of migrating customers onto our platform now so there's a bit of sharing going on there (some on the old platform and some on the new) and as such the PN guys are helping out with certain issues, but other than the platform move nothing has changed.
Was this wireless authentication or issues connecting to the broadband?
HPsauce
Pro

Broadband.
It was due to undocumented (to the customer) password/authentication changes.
May therefore be due to underlying platform changes.
Sorry, have to go out, so brief. More later.....  Cool
HPsauce
Pro

OK, I'm back. This is what happened; someone (in PlusNet) may be interested.....
Madasafish customer connected fine at 8mbps via a Belkin router using LAN to an XP desktop and new (Vista) laptop.
He had in the past had some "issues" with his router and MAAF had sent him another but it was still sealed in its box. Not sure what the issues were exactly but it cast some doubt over the router in use.
He wanted to use the laptop wirelessly but couldn't connect properly - "limited connectivity". All his router settings were well-documented from the initial setup done with MAAF some time ago.
So, after failing to get the laptop to connect despite having thoroughly beaten it into submission (not easy with Vista) we decided the router might be flaky and to use the other one.
Set up the spare router exactly (well almost see later) as documented for the first one and connected to it immediately from the laptop. BUT no internet connection!  Huh It was syncing OK but not authenticating!
Rechecked login name (a weird name bearing no relationship to the users email address) and password (4 letters and 4 numbers) supplied by MAAF. Still no authentication.
OK, back to router 1 (which HAD NOT been changed since it worked OK a few minutes before), at least we can use cables for now. NO AUTHENTICATION  Crazy
Checked, rechecked, reconfigured both routers and swapped several times - no luck. So phoned MAAF.

Nice East-European sounding person checked everything and gave us the authentication password which was different! It was the same password as used on the email account! And it worked.
So, somewhere along the way the broadband authentication password had been changed and there had been no notification, yet it kept working with the old router (recognised the MAC maybe?) until it was swapped. Very odd indeed.
So we then had 2 routers that authenticated fine but only 1 that could be accessed fully from Vista via wireless. However they weren't at this stage exactly the same as the original was WEP and the new one WPA. Eventually by rummaging into the darkest depths of wireless configuration in Vista (and boy they do not want you there!) I discovered that it was somehow set up as open authentication with encrypted traffic for WEP, so a quick change and it all worked, though why it was wrong I've no idea.
So, the final question, is this an authentication change as part of the PN platform migration for MAAF customers and has something been missed?  Cool
prichardson
Grafter

Myself and a team of other support types identified a similar issue at the start of the year, which had been resolved.
Shameless Plug
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/01/18/life-in-south-africa/
Has a recent change been made to the password for the email on the Madasafish Members Centre?
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: P
Has a recent change been made to the password for the email on the Madasafish Members Centre?

I don't believe so, but I don't know for sure - I'll find out.
Would the two now be synchronised, i.e. the email password is always the same as the broadband authentication password?
And apologies to whoever we spoke to on the phone - probably were South African not East European!  Grin
prichardson
Grafter

They do synchronise as of a change, in the same way the PlusNet primary mailbox does in a change.
In the migration, the existing separate password between broadband and email is honoured, until a change is made to the password on the portal.
HPsauce
Pro

I can understand that as an ex/dormant PN broadband user, but as far as I know the MAAF customer I was helping was unaware of that change, he definitely thought they were separately maintained.
How would/should he have been notified?
prichardson
Grafter

On the password change page.
HPsauce
Pro

Well I've asked him (by email) when/if he changed his email password. The reply will be interesting.
HPsauce
Pro

My Madasafish user confirms he did change his email password, but didn't say when, though the wording implied that he "had to" make the change rather than chose to.
However he was quite sure there was no warning about the broadband authentication changing............
And it doesn't explain why the router was still working until it was (temporarily!) swapped out.  Huh
James
Grafter

Hi HPSauce,
When we were migrating the customer details for the Brightview vISPs, we encountered a potential problem which could ultimately lead to username duplication with a small number of customers.  As such, we emailed these customers advising that they would need to change their broadband username.  For those who did not change them, we subsequently sent them this thing called a letter.  It used these things called letterboxes and envelopes.
The wording should have implied that he did need to make the change as ultimately, authentication would have been turned off against the old username.  I'm afraid that I can't remember off the top of my head what the actual timescales were.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Jameseh
For those who did not change them, we subsequently sent them this thing called a letter.  It used these things called letterboxes and envelopes.
  Grin
I don't think he's in that category TBH as his broadband username is unchanged from when he first signed up.
It's all slightly mysterious and a bit confusing, but he's working now.  Wink
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: P
On the password change page.

The person in question changed his password by telephone; he definitely was NOT advised that the broadband logon (i.e. router setup) would also change.
I've asked him to clarify when that was and what triggered the change.
mikeathome

Hi,
I hope you don't mind me butting in on this, but my guess is that the original ADSL session would remain established on the old password until the router was disconnected or rebooted. As the session was re-established, the new password would come into effect. HTH
Regards, Mike