cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish binary newsgroups not available to PlusNet customers?

Moose666
Grafter

Madasafish binary newsgroups not available to PlusNet customers?

As a Madasafish customer I had access to binary newsgroups through the Madasafish news server. I moved over to PlusNet last week (2008-12-05) and found out that PlusNet don't allow binary newsgroups from their server.
Since PlusNet OWN Madasafish I was expecting the same newsgroup access. Can I please have my Madasafish binary newsgroups?
--
Moose666
[A new PlusNet subscriber, asking a few questions in the Community Support Forum. I could probably get replies using "My Questions", but if I ask here the replies can be easily found by the next newbie!]
11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Madasafish binary newsgroups not available to PlusNet customers?

Hi there,
If you PM me with your old Madasafish username then I'll see if there's anything I can do.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

magicsnaps
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
Hi there,
If you PM me with your old Madasafish username then I'll see if there's anything I can do.

Hi Bob 
I have been browsing these pages trying to get help to expedite a migration from MAAF to Plusnet which has just been going round in circles for days.  I set up a Plusnet basic account as instructed but the Order Tracker page shows that I am supposed to have a problem with my broadband line, which is pretty unlikely since I am using it currently as a MAAF customer to type this.  I currently have two outstanding questions with Customer Support and four unanswered comments, which are getting me precisely nowhere but increasingly feeling hostile and unsupported.  Perhaps you could help me get it sorted today and at the same time, to add insult to injury I was unaware of the same issue as Moose666, and had no idea that I would be unable to access the binary news server.  I too would like to continue with the MAAF binary service.
With this much hassle,  I am beginning to regret ever considering Plusnet!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Magicsnaps
Sorry about the problems and lack of response, I'll get this chased up today for you.
I've checked the order that was placed on the 3rd for you and it's completed, so all that needs doing now is to activate your account. I'll make sure we get this done today.
I too would like to continue with the MAAF binary service.

I'll find out what Bob did to allow this on the other account and sort the same out for you once the switchover completes.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
magicsnaps
Dabbler

Hi Chris
Now that is impressive!  I could have a change of heart here.
Kind regards.
madjbright
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I'll see if there's anything I can do.

Is is possible for plusnet users who have not migrated from MAAF to get access to the MAAF Binary newsgroups as well?
Chris
Legend

Unfortunately not, it's only available on MAAF accounts and it's only by keeping their account open in a roundabout way that we can do this.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
madjbright
Grafter

It seems a little unfair that users who have migrated from MAAF to plusnet, presumably to gain access to the benefits of a plusnet account which they could not get from MAAF, can maintain access to the benefits of a MAAF account which are not available to plusnet users. Best of both worlds. Perhaps if plusnet users migrate to MAAF and then back again they can gain the same benefits.
Personally I have no interest in binary news groups, but I do like to see a level playing field for all users.
gswindale
Grafter

Just out of interest, is there anything special about the MAAF binary newsgroups that couldn't be found by using an alternative provider?
Chris
Legend

@magicsnaps
I've just checked and your ticket wasn't picked up even though I was told it would be, I'll follow this up today. Very sorry about that.
*edit* Can you try updating the username and password in your modem/router username@plusdsl.net and the password you chose for your Plusnet service.
@geofftswin
Nope, it's just an ordinary feed.
Moose666
Grafter

Quote from: geofftswin
Just out of interest, is there anything special about the MAAF binary newsgroups that couldn't be found by using an alternative provider?

Nothing special.
Before Bob made his offer to restore my access to the Madasafish newsserver, I looked around for a reasonably-priced alternative and found this site:http://usenet-news.net
The big difference between Usenet-News and other providers is that they offer BLOCKS of data that aren't time limited, most providers of newsgroup access require a monthly subscription. That's perfect for me. I bought 30GB for $10, which will last me many months.
I have no connection to Usenet-News, just a satisfied customer.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html
125GB for $25
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)