cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MacBook connection problem

Willard

MacBook connection problem

Morning all!  I just purchased a new MacBook and it's a nightmare connecting to the plus net router. Whenever the macbook goes into sleep mode or i close the lid, it disconnects and then wont re connect. Only way to reconnect is to power down the macbook and restart. I have tried changing the channels on the router to no avail. What is interesting is that I also use the Macbook at my second home where I have SKY Broadband and the Macbook works fine! So this is clearly a Plus net router problem. BTW I'm using Sky now.  Can any one help me please?
7 REPLIES 7
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: MacBook connection problem

Can you advise the router version and firmware please?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Let's cut to the chase, if you have the Thomson 585v8 router you need to update the firmware to the latest version.  You will find the Plusnet-specific version here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7... but you need a PC to apply this.  Plusnet could also do this remotely for a client but as you are with Sky now I guess its up to you.  Perhaps the Thomson web site has generic firmware?   
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
You will find the Plusnet-specific version here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7... but you need a PC to apply this.  

According to that link you need Windows; presumably Windows on a Mac would do the trick  Cool
I don't have a Thomson router so can't verify if it works, but the OP may care to try the mac_updater_090909.zip.  Instructions / screenshots here. 
If any MacOS users have used this tool successfully perhaps they could update the Support Library article accordingly.
Stewthecue
Grafter

Are you using OSX Lion by any chance?
I've recently upgraded to Lion and i'm experiencing something similar. However, If it's the same problem i've found that just by clicking "turn wi-fi off" and then on again fixes the problem.
I think its a bug with Lion, i never had this problem with Snow leopard.
If that doesn't work for you, then you may have a different issue.
Willard

Yes, its running MacOSX.  In the interim, Plusnet have agreed to send me a replacement router. Let's see what that does. thanks for posting.
Stewthecue
Grafter

For what it's worth, I stumbled across this on the web.
ping `route get default | awk '(/gateway/){print $2}'`
If you open a terminal window and paste the above (exactly as it is), this stops the wifi disconnecting. Then you can hide the terminal with cmd-h, and go about your business. This seems to stop the disconnects.
It's not ideal, but it's an adequate workaround until Apple release a bugfix.
Hope this helps.
Stewthecue
Grafter

Well, this did work... It seems to have stopped working. Awaiting bug fix.  Roll_eyes