cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OS X Mavericks apparently locking up Thomson router

GJB

Mac OS X Mavericks apparently locking up Thomson router

My wife and I have several Macs, and when I upgraded my old Mac Pro to OS X 10.9 Mavericks I experienced some odd network behaviour.  The Mac Pro connects to the internet (wi-fi) with no problem, but once it has been switched on, no other device will work on the internet (although there is an exception to this, which I will come to).  They all appear to be connected, and internet diagnostics check out OK, but no websites can be accessed and no mail can be downloaded.  This issue continues even once the Mac Pro has been switched off, and only switching off the router (Thomson TG585 v7), leaving it for a few minutes then restarting it will cure the problem.
One exception to this is that connections over a secure link appear to work OK.  My wife's work laptop would work on the VPN connection, and my work iPhone would receive e-mail through the MDM connection, but wouldn't receive it over a standard unsecured connection.
I only use the Mac Pro for music, and it's not vital I have it on the network so I have been working with the wi-fi switched off.  However, my wife has just had an upgrade to her work laptop and this runs Mavericks too, causing the same problem with the router, so the problem is now more pressing.
I've googled this a lot, and have drawn a blank.  I asked our IT man at work and he had no idea.  And Plusnet's tech support talked me through a lot of suggestions but unfortunately none worked.
I need to try another router, but have not yet had a chance to do so.  Has anyone else experienced this problem, and are there any solutions other than a new router?
Thanks
GJB
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Mac OS X Mavericks apparently locking up Thomson router

This might be of some use to you https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137695.0.html
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

I don't think it's that particular problem Adie (Dvorak). No lock ups mentioned and this is an old Thompson not the SagemCom in that thread.
@ GJB
Did you try setting DNS on the computers affected? Just checking whether that was suggested by support or not.
That's RPM to you!!
mwarby
Grafter

I wonder if the macbook is running a DHCP server and some poorly configured proxy (some av\security suites use a proxy to filter dodgy websites).
GJB

Thanks all.  Plusnet support talked me through a couple of things.  One was switching off the IPv6 configuration, but I didn't have the option to do that.  I only had three options: Automatically, Manually and Link-local only (I have no idea what the third option means).  I tried Auto and Link-local on both my Mac Pro and my laptop but neither seemed to make a difference.
They also added a couple of DNS IP addresses, but again there was no change.
My devices (Macs, iPads, iPhones) all work perfectly when the router is locked up, it's just that they can't connect to the internet, (other than those running Mavericks).
mwarby
Grafter

Might be worth checking that 'internet sharing' isn't on, you can find it under sharing in system preferences , you want this turned off
GJB

Thanks mwarby - thought that might be the culprit but it's turned off on all machines.
mwarby
Grafter

Can you change the addresses given out by the router and see if these change on clients, this would rule out a rogue DHCP server.
Could you do the mac equivalent of ipconfig (ifconfig maybe)and see what the gateway address is, the technicolour defaults to 192.168.1.254, if it's a different address this maybe the problem. 
If the address is different maybe worth putting the address into a web browser and see what comes up, or ssh/telnet, this may tell you what the rogue device is