cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY sync speed issue

Teatime
Grafter

MY sync speed issue

Apologies if anything similar has been posted before, but I couldn't find anything...
After moving house 7 weeks ago, I expected a drop in speed as I would be further away from the nearest exchange. Previously, I was syncing invariably at 7.6Mbps, which was great. Now, after bootup, I sync at variable speeeds between 1.0 and 1.5Mbps; but if I disconnect the modem and reconnect immediately, I get speeds of between 2.0 and 2.4Mbps...
So, my question is, is this normal behaviour? Should my sync speed not be more constant after 7 weeks here?
OK... that was two questions  Roll_eyes
6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: MY sync speed issue

Can you post some more details of your router stats, e.g. detailed sync speeds, SNRM, attenuation etc.
Teatime
Grafter

Modem, not router...
Currently synced at 2.0Mbps... and if I can remember how to get the stats...
Noise Margin: Up=+21.0dB Down=+11.0dB
Attenuation: Up=+30.5dB Down=+52.9dB
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hmmm.
With a router and good wiring you'd probably do better - maybe 4mbps or even more at a push.  Roll_eyes
Teatime
Grafter

4Mbps? I'm scared my house would fall apart at such speeds!  Cool
I'm not whinging about the actual speed - I expected a slowdown... Just puzzled about the inconsistent sync speeds, and that I can increase it if I reconnect after the initial connection...
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Teatime
Noise Margin: Up=+21.0dB Down=+11.0dB
Attenuation: Up=+30.5dB Down=+52.9dB

You could wait and wait and . . . eventually the noise margin would hopefully decrease from 11.0dB to something like 6.0dB and you should see higher speeds as a result.  You could try to expedite this by asking PN to contact BT and ask them to release your SNR.  Sometimes BT set it at a "safe" level to ensure line stability.  This is not always optimum for maximising your speed.
Teatime
Grafter

Sounds interesting... thanks.
Would anyone from PlusNet care to comment, or do I need to raise a ticket?