cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MTU help please

RichardDNorth
Dabbler

Re: MTU help please

I don't think the second speed snap went through, so here it is...
On the Mastersocket, I can't see the GPO incoming line (it's hidden behind a second set of screws) but on opening up the Mastersocket first layer of screws I can see orange, blue and brown wires (not green).
PlusNet say they have asked their wholesaler to switch on "interleaving" - which I think I sort of knew from yesterday and which you have already commented on.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Those two sets of stats appear to be identical, I'm not sure if that was the case or you posted the same ones twice.
I'm fairly convinced that the old standard of the wiring of the extension sockets will be contributing to the problem, but there's still a few things to check before being certain. As I've already indicated, Interleaving (which may already have been on anyway!) may help but is highly unlikely to cure the problem.
Because some of the later checking will undoubtedly involve disconnecting the modem/router and also your current need to reboot it periodically, if your modem/router has the ability, I think it would be wise in future to do so by dropping the PPP session first -
When you log in to it, there will be a page where you will have entered the Internet service Provider login username and password. Hopefully on that page there will be a button marked Disconnect which is for the PPP(oA) Internet session to the provider. I'm not familiar with your Belkin and the manual isn't of much help, so if it's not on that page, have a look at the related pages. Note that this is not the ADSL (sync) part of the connection to the exchange, nor specific to wireless settings.
See if you can find that and I'll explain the method. Post screenshots of the pages if you want to, because you are not sure etc.
Other checks -
First your Sky box. These are often (dependant on usage) plugged into the phone line as well as maybe having an Internet connection (as in your case). Is it indeed plugged into the phone line and is it connected via a filter?
2nd, where is the modem/router currently plugged in and where do you normally plug it in?
apjashley1
Grafter

There's a big grey disconnect button at the top right of the router's homepage, this drops the PPP session.
Also, of note, the "Interleaved" status on the stats reported by Belkin routers does not reflect whether a line is set to interleaved or fastpath.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that apj - AO makes note of who to ask for obscure Belkin info next time  Wink
RichardDNorth
Dabbler

Thanks for your continued attention.
Here is the relevant snap, I hope.
Yes, my Sky box goes via a telephone cable to a socket via a microfilter as well as via Ethernet to the router.
The router is plugged in where it always has been. Indeed all the set-up is the same as it has been for years except for (a) the addition of Sky on demand (I don't recall that creating issues), and (b) the disconnection of an old phone socket which was downstream of a junction box which is downstream of the mastersocket box and (c) and this is when I noticed serious problems, some rejigging of the Belkin's settings when I attempted Port forwarding (since several times "corrected" by returning to factory settings and following detailed Belkin help-desk calls.
The Belkin router is connected to a phone socket which was installed 6 years ago and from which - through one microfilter - a land line phone is connected and - through another microfilter - the Sky's phone line and the Belkin's connection is made. (To reiterate: the Belkin shares a socket with Sky and a landline, and is downstream of a junction box which is downstream of the mastersocket.)
One peculiar thing: however often I set the properties of the Belkin connection to "connect automatically", it seems often to revert to manual.
apjashley1
Grafter

Just to check, you don't have more than one microfilter on that same socket do you?
RichardDNorth
Dabbler

Thank you for your interest, apjashley1.
Yes, the Sky box phone line and the router (on one microfilter) and the landline (on a separate microfilter) all connect to a splitter on one phone socket. Always have done, long before the setup became unstable.
Anotherone
Champion

It's likely that there is some noise or interference happening occasionally which is causing this and it's being picked up by the older wiring.
I think some photos of the wiring will probably help to sort things out.
But first, did you discover the "big grey disconnect button" that ajpashley1 has mentioned?
The junction box in the attic, what socket(s) are connected to that, and does the cable going to it come from the master socket?
The socket that you are using that was installed 6 years ago, where is that connected to exactly?
A picture of any other junctions boxes could be helpful.
Using the Disconnect button, drop the PPP session, then wait about 30 seconds before powering down the modem/router. Wait about 30 seconds again and you can then unplug it from the line. Later when you plug it back in the line, do the reverse, ie power up, login and click Connect to re-establish a PPP session. Use this method even when you just want to re-boot
This method helps prevent the Exchange DLM from thinking that was a dropped connection, which can result in Banded (lower) speed on 21CN or a raised Target Noise Margin with the resultant lowering of speed.
Whilst you are Disconnected if you could take photos of the wiring and the terminal numbers to which they are connected on the back of the extension socket you normally plug into, as well as the wiring at the back of the removable front plate on the Master socket. Obviously be careful you don't pull out any wiring from the terminals which are IDC terminals and grip the wire through the insulation to make contact. Should one, come out don't push it in with a screwdriver in the jaws of the connector as this make open the jaws up resulting in poor contact. Push down either side of the jaws if you don't have an IDC tool.
Whilst you have the front plate removed from the Master socket, you could unscrew the back plate and have a quick look at the BT incoming cable which should be using two wires coloured White and and Orange connected to the A & B terminals.
All photos should be clear to identify the terminal numbers and the colour of the wires, otherwise supplement the photos with a description.
A picture of the connector and filter arrangement where you are normally plugged in may help as well. Whilst you are all disconnected, plug in and remove each of the connectors and leads a few times to help clean the connectors from any surface oxidation that may be present.
RichardDNorth
Dabbler

Thankyou, Anotherone.
The investigation you suggest is quite an undertaking: there are presumably one or more junctions in the attic which are under mountains of stuff. I can get to all that, in time. Would it be simple for you to tell me what I am looking for? Oxidation? Missing connections? That's the sort of stuff you have mentioned so far.
Meantime, I propose starting with the last of your kind suggestions: revisiting the connections and quality of the microfilters: they at least are visible and easily dealt with. After all, at least the rest of the system (apart from one junction box) has not been interfered-with for years (and the disconnection of the redundant old socket which I undertook a fortnight ago did not make the recent erratic situation any worse.
As to the grey disconnect button supposedly on my Belkin's home page: there isn't one that I can see. I will shortly post a snap of the home page and have already sent a snap of the page which has some PPP disconnect details...
Thanks again for your attention, it's great.
Anotherone
Champion

The "Disconnect" in the previous screen grab isn't the right one - keep hunting!
Keep listening for any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone. Note any problems with incoming or outgoing calls.
Something has changed to cause this, the electrical environment is always a suspect and old standard wiring (it's the type of cable not the age exactly) is always vulnerable to picking up noise/interference which is why I'm keen to see exactly what you've got so we can suggest ways of minimising the problem. Forget the junction boxes in the attic for one moment, pictures at the master socket and the 6 year old extension socket and where the latter is connected will be a good start.
apjashley1
Grafter

On the router's home page, look at the top right (in the header) next to "Internet status:"
RichardDNorth
Dabbler

Thank you. Here's the top right of the Home page...
RichardDNorth
Dabbler

Thank you - I have sent a grab of the front page top right...
I will get the socket snaps soon...
The attic junction box which I snapped and sent you is the most downstream connection that I know for the socket into which the router connects.
Today, after several days of faultless performance, the broadband went to a crawl again. In a hurry, I rebooted the router and everything went fine again. The ADSL numbers in the attached screen grab did not change as between before (in the snap) and after the showdown and the reboot.
RichardDNorth
Dabbler

here is the grab of the current ADSL numbers, mitted from my last....
Anotherone
Champion

It's the stats whilst it is crawling that we really need to see, not before or after - unless I've misunderstood what you've said.
As far as that front page goes, I guess it's what it looks like after you've logged in, that could be where the button is - hopefully apjashley1 will be able to help on that.