cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low upstream throughput again today

deathtrap
Grafter

Low upstream throughput again today

What is it with plusnet and them cutting upstream  throughput as soon as their network gets a little busy ? Today it's affecting speed test results so isn't being limited to FTP only, All i can say is they must have some serious capacity issues if they need to THROTTLE  upstream speeds ,either that or the DPI or whatever is used to manage traffic is set up far too aggressive,
These issues at peak times are letting what could be a good service down, That and the insane way traffic gets routed to some destinations ie,  indirectly  and for some reason the speed test at think broadband no longer works properly since the apple  update
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and some web sites are randomly slow to load,or fail to load properly first time,
If things keep on this downward spiral i may have to give some serious consideration  to migrating to a supplier who doesn't have to throttle , BT retail believe it or not don't seem to be having such issues at peak time, maybe the traffic management hardware or configuration is itself is to blame
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Low upstream throughput again today

What is it with plusnet and them cutting upstream  throughput as soon as their network gets a little busy ? Today it's affecting speed test results so isn't being limited to FTP only, All i can say is they must have some serious capacity issues if they need to THROTTLE  upstream speeds ,either that or the DPI or whatever is used to manage traffic is set up far too aggressive,

Just to be clear we don't do anything like that Smiley
Sorry to hear you're having an issue but you seem to have drawn the wrong conclusion there. Let us help you though.
I've just done a number of checks and whilst I can't see anything that's an obvious cause, given what you've mentioned on ticket 74826300 it sounds like there could be a fault that's just affecting the upstream of your connection so I'd urge raising this via http://faults.plus.net
What upstream speeds are you seeing from the testers that you've used?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
deathtrap
Grafter

Speed test results at all other times than Plusnet's peak times show upstream /downstream speeds  near to the line speed  and are more or less  consistent, using Speedtest,net  As they where with other speedtesters inc thinkbroadband speed tester, which since the day of the IOS update hasn't worked, as it won't complete due to it failing to get any upstream data ,
And also since that night when my upstream though put dropped to really low speeds  less than 1mbps for a brief period, my upstream speeds have seem lower speeds during peak times only
Last night both downstream & upstream suffered a dip in speed, the upstream was around 15mbps instead of 18-19mbps and the downstream was a fluctuating  60-66 instead of the normally  solid 75mbps  On the upstream FTP i did a couple of tests  peak time  single thread 3mbps max and  and the 15mbps was with 6 threads, just now it's peaking at 19mbps single stream
You say that you don't manage upstream traffic,  if this is the case why is FTP  in the list of protocols that are subject to traffic management (throttling)
If you ain't actively throttling upstream speeds at peak times  then what I'm seeing is a side effect from what is being done to my downstream traffic
which has become more noticeable since things got changed  on the 12th sept
I see raising it as a fault pointless as i don't believe it is a fault with the connection  PCP cab to Openreach Modem   If this was a fault that a BT openreach engineer  was able to detect and fix , i would see this drop in throughput at other times , I only see it during plusnet peak times
And to investigate a network level fault or lack of capacity anywhere from FTTC cab to the handover point on to your network, wouldn't be in the average engineers remit, So the need to send out an engineer  to my home should be negated as i am not prepared to pay openreach fees for a engineers  visit , as i know there is no line fault causing this
Plus engineers typicaly don't work during peak times  
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Those don't seem like particularly wild speed fluctuations to be honest, and as has been said before we're in no way throttling any upstream connections - there's nothing in place to do so, and as the bottleneck is the connection to your own router there'd be no point in doing so anyway.
Apologies if you've posted this somewhere and I've missed it, but what was changed on the 12th September?
deathtrap
Grafter

The date should of been 18/09/13 not the 12th, As from Thursday the big dip's in upstream throughput  at peak time started  And i do call a variation of throughput that is more than 2mbps wild, especially when outside peak times there is no or a very minor amount of variation in throughput , peak times the upstream  throughput will initially start off at the max  and then drop down to as far as 11mbps then or less then increase to 15mbps for a short time,before dropping some more,  if shouldn't be doing that,
And on the 18th during peak time, at one point my upload throughput dropped to less than 1mbps it was in the hundreds of KBPS but only with FTP, speedtest.net  results where within normal ranges,  So you see your network capacity  does play a part in what throughput both upstream and downstream that i see as does how your traffic management is set up at any given time,
deathtrap
Grafter

And yet again tonight FTP uploads are down to 15-16mbps and downstream http throughput is down by 10-15mbps not enough resources for everyone to use their internet at full speed that's the problem , no doubt plusnet is struggling to cope with all the ex BE/o2 customers they have acquired in recent months
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

And yet again tonight FTP uploads are down to 15-16mbps

That's pretty much the maximum I'd expect from an upload when you take overheads in to consideration.
not enough resources for everyone to use their internet at full speed that's the problem

It really isn't! We've invested in loads of capacity to stay above where we need to be. We're more than happy to work with you to resolve whatever issues you're having with your upload and download speeds.
From the times you're seeing the issues, it sounds more like exchange contention but that is showing as fine at the moment. I'd suggest opening a fault ticket as that's the only way we're going to get to the bottom of this.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
deathtrap
Grafter

The normal throughput for the upstream part of my connection is and always been 2.3 -2.4MB/s = 18.4 -19.3 mbps max, and using FTP outside  peak times there is no issue
During peak times the throughput will not reach the max speed or if it does it will back off within 1-2 seconds and will fluctuate  during this time, (it is almost constantly static at the max 23-24MB/s outside peak times) Similar can be said for the downstream throughput when that is affected , again it will sit at the max throughput outside peak times .
To be fare  there are times where the effects of peak time are not obvious, but those days are becoming less frequent
I believe that my tbb ping monitor shows  the throughput issue , it shows the peak time jitter start at around 8pm which didn't end until around 11:20pm(last night)
I for testing purposes started a 6 thread FTP upload to the same FTP server as i have used previously,  the results where as my other post, throughput less than normal, 12.5 -15mbps so as low as 1.6MB/s  last night but fluctuating a lot ,
The blue on the tbb is representative of the upstream throughput level , you can see this clearly increases over time, at around 11:45pm throughput is nearly back to normal speeds,  i repeated the same upload  for the purposes of the graph, so a comparison can be made
I also took a screen cap of Plusnets usage graphs, and the peak time reduction in throughput  seem to occur  once the usage reaches /passes the 20G marker , the peak time jitter  also tends to be linked to this level of traffic,
So if not congestion/lack of capacity, i then something isn't able to handle  things properly once the levels of traffic reach that 20G level,  i only need to point out the  night the ios7 update was released  to prove that my issues lie else where than with my equipment or line, That night my FTP throughput was sub 1mbps  at one point(during peak time)  These issues at peak time shouldn't exist  the fact that they do to me,and I'm sure others too, means something maybe wrong,
One another point
From the times you're seeing the issues, it sounds more like exchange contention but that is showing as fine at the moment. I'd suggest opening a fault ticket as that's the only way we're going to get to the bottom of this

And plusnet is sending a BT Openreach engineer to my home to check my connection is working(which it is) is going to do what exactly, incur charges for a visit ? charges I'm not prepared to pay, as by doing this ,you are asking an engineer to fix something that isn't broken , they would find no fault with my set up or line,
If the issue is with exchange capacity  or with the link from the exchange to your handover point , then an engineers visit is a waist of his time, and unnecessary plus  someone will get charged for that, why should it be me?,
Progress this with BT openreach or BT wholesale or which other department of BT you need to, but sending an engineer out  in order to get them to check exchange capacity  sheer stupidity, This was the conclusion reached of the last fault ticket  That and because your line test indicated  crosstalk (that only affects  the connection during peak times)  i raised regarding throughput issues during peak times
old ticket number 71123697
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi deathtrap,
A few things, which will most likely not be regarded as good news, but it's better to be honest.
Upload uses the same capacity as download as far as our network is concerned, so there's absolutely no issues there. Speeds on fibre, as with ADSL and ADSL2+ will fluctuate, and our network is not the only place that can happen - peak time is the same everywhere, including at the exchange and possibly at the server you're FTP'ing to as well depending on where it's located and accessed from.
The service you're paying for is an up to 20Mb service - it's in no way guaranteed that you'll get line speed at all times and this shouldn't be expected. The slowdowns you mention are by no means indicative of any sort of fault so in spite of what's been mentioned I wouldn't recommend this - it won't be accepted by our suppliers.
As far as I can see the service is working extremely well, and is very fast even when it's not running at line speed - 1.6MB/s is by no means a slow upload speed, even relative to the 2.4MB/s you do sometimes get.
There's absolutely nothing that indicates a problem either on our network or with your line here.