cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low speed and router advice needed

rtapper

Low speed and router advice needed

Hi
After upgrading to the new 20MB product my speed dropped down from 6mb to 2 and now its almost nothing. BT speed test says
Download speedachieved during the test was - 350 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps
From what I have seen on the site it says it will sort itself after a few days is that right ?
Also my router is a BT 1800HG - I dont see it listed on plusnet site as being compatible with new product i'm on. Is it OK or do I need to change it and if so to what and can I get a free one from plusnet ?
3 REPLIES 3
coastergrotto
Grafter

Re: Low speed and router advice needed

I've no idea whether it is ADSL2+ compatible but I would certainly update your firmware.    I had a BT Voyager 2110 and I kept losing connection until I updated the firmware since when I have had no problems.
You can get a Thomson TG585 router from Plusnet for £6.99 carriage if you agree to a 12 month contract.
rtapper

Cheers, will get new router. Could be the source of the problems perhaps.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Also my router is a BT 1800HG

I think you need firmware version 4.25.33 or above on the 1800HG to support ADSL2. Most originally came with 3.7.5 and its difficult to get a firmware update for it since it has to be 'pushed' to the router by your ISP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.