Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Speed

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Low Speed

I'll be honest with you, @skimarqueshc, the most recent estimate we provided (last month) was between 2-3mb/s. So although the BT estimate is higher, I would be inclined to agree with you.

Best wishes,

Dave

skimarqueshc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've left the router in the master socket until this evening and I was only getting 2100kbps.

I have now tried back in the usual position and am getting 2100kbps, this is the place a few weeks back I got 3000kbps.

i can accept that I won't get the 6.5Mb/s that BT say on the line but the drop from 3 to 2.1 makes a big difference, can anything be done to try and correct this, a online rep did mention resetting the line to the initial 15 day settling period.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @skimarqueshc

In this instance there are a couple of options available to you.

We can reduce the SNRM to 3dB however, with some drops in the service at the moment this is likely to increase the amount of drops and errors occurring.

The other option is to progress to with an engineers visit as the line speed is lower than the estimates but above the minimum guaranteed access line speed. The difficulty with this option is that if the engineer is unable to detect a fault a fee of £65 would apply. Keep in mind that we have intermittently found a potential high resistance fault that is not being detected at the moment, which could be a factor of why the service is dropping and the speed / settings are fluctuating.

Thank you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Could you elaborate on what could be the cause of the high resistance fault and is there anything I can do at my end as I am obviously not keen on a potential £65 engineers fee.

When I plugged it back into the extension tonight I have used a different microfilter and cable to see if that could make any difference.

When the SNR was lower last time I didn't notice any drops so I am willing to take the risk and if the broadband is unworkable I can always ask for the the SNR to go back

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @skimarqueshc,

High resistance can be caused by numerous factors. It's usually caused by a physical problem with the line - e.g. damaged/corroded cables or water on the line. It may also be caused by internal extension wiring or by the router.

As the high resistance fault is still present when your router is connected to the test socket, we can be confident that the issue doesn't lie with your internal extension wiring. Before we go ahead and book an engineer, I'd recommend that you try a different router just so we can make sure that the issue doesn't lie with your equipment and to avoid the possibility of a charge if an engineer visit is required.

I've looked into getting you a new router out to try - my response contains some account specific information so I've replied via ticket on the account and you can view this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Thank you @EmilyD

I am not sure whether Plusnet have done anything there end but my SNR has dropped to 1.3 and my download is back up to 3200kbps.

I was streaming NowTV earlier and it played fine and I didn't notice any drop outs, I will monitor it and if it drops again I will test the new router, but ATM I don't want to power the router or swap it as I have the speeds I am happy with.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, glad to hear things have improved. Do keep us posted. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Can plusnet look at my line again and see if the high resistance fault exists, I am back down to 2.1mb broadband with the adsl dropping out most days, 

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@skimarqueshc, there's no high resistance showing on the testing, but it was 3db again. I've reset the line again to try and lift it back up. It looks like that happened as you had a couple of days worth of instability.

skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Hi, can someone look again, my speed has not increased and my router seems to be disconnecting daily.

I am using my own router but have been sent a new Plusnet router, is it worth me swapping to this to rule out my router.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @skimarqueshc, testing shows the SNR at 6dB and in sync at 2.1mb. the drops don't look to be too frequent though.

If you could try our router that would be great, let us know how you get on.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

Still the same, getting between 2.1 and 2.5 but with drop outs daily, can anyone look at this again please

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Your connection looks mostly stable as per the graph below

With regards to the speeds they are within the estimates for your line. We can try dropping the SNR to give you faster speeds but due to the length of the line it may not make much, if any difference

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
skimarqueshc
Rising Star

The SNR has increased and I am down to 1800kbps according to the router stats. The line hasn't dropped for a couple of days according to the router.

This is frequently happening now yet nothing seems to be able to be done. I am under the estimates for my line, how long does it need to be before I can get out of my contract and cancel ADSL

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Unfortunately we can't write off a contract minimum term based on a speed estimate, we'd do it from the minimum guaranteed access line speed(MGALS). A low estimate of 2mbps would mean your MGALS is 1mbps.

To investigate the problem further, I'd recommend reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here once you've done so and we'll be happy to pick it up and pass it on to our suppliers to arrange an engineer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet