cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost wireless connection

tonymaddocks

Lost wireless connection

For some reason I re-entered my network security key (serial number) on my vista laptop. It wouldn't reconnect and hasn't since.
I can see the plusnet network on network list (i.e. wireless is switched on on my laptop).
I have re-booted the router and laptop.
All other devices continue to connect to the network and the laptop will connect via ethernet cable but not via wifi.
Can anyone help please?
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Lost wireless connection

Hi Tony,
Can you tell me EXACTLY what is happening?  What error messages do you see?  Are you using the PN TG582n router?
I have seen intermittent issues with these routers in-conjunction with Vista - exactly as you describe, other devices work fine, but the Vista machine does not.
Does the Vista machine look "as though it is connecting" to the wifi - that is there is no explicit message to say that the password is wrong?
If you run up a CMD prompt and type "ipconfig /all" (omit quotes) what do you get - specifically what is the IP address?
Does the router'is network connection list show the vista machine?  I've have seen the list of attached devices show the vista machine on one IP address and then a different one after trying to "renew" the IP address yet the vista machine still thinks that it is not connected.  Earlier this year I wrote a long thread on this, but due to challenges with the search system, I can't find it quickly.
Try removing any entry for this device in the router - click on the device' sentry, click configure and then delete / forget.  Tell the vista machine to forget / delete the reference to the PN network.  Restart router and PC, then get the PC to rediscover the wifi.
If that does not work post back and I'll try a step by step guide to try to assist.
One last thought, is there just one wifi AP or two using the same SSID?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tonymaddocks

Hi Kevin, I removed the network from the laptop and visa versa. Still had no connection but the Plusnet assistant kicked in and told me to re-boot router. It then connected me again. Thanks for your help
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Tony,
Great that you are working again.  I'm suspecting there is an obscure compatibility issue with vista - especially when the wifi signal is marginal.  SWMBO's laptop is the only vista one in the household and it has a habit of dropping off the network for no apparently good reason, which is a right pain in the neck as that is the machine with the shared file store which we need to access from elsewhere.
If you get more problems, come back to this thread.
Kevin
Edit: I found the link to my previous problem - there are some other useful suggestions here for gathering more diagnostics.  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120247.msg1043243.html#msg1043243

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tonymaddocks

Highly tempted to install Windows 7. Thanks again
tonymaddocks

Quote from: tonymaddocks
For some reason I re-entered my network security key (serial number) on my vista laptop. It wouldn't reconnect and hasn't since.

I'm an idiot...I was entering sn not "key (password)"
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Douh!!!
Must learn to read better!  Too eager to link your problem to something I'd seen before!  Embarrassed
...that said Vista should have reported a password failure, thereby giving you a clue to what was wrong.