cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of wireless connection

coastergrotto
Grafter

Loss of wireless connection

Not sure whether I'm posting this in the correct forum or not.
This morning Dell came and replaced the faulty speakers in my Inspiron 6400 laptop and also replaced the mother board.  Since then I am unable to connect to the internet via my wireless connection on this computer but have no problem whatsoever with my ethernet connection.
My other Dell laptop still connects via wireless and ethernet.
The problem according to the Intel wireless troubleshooter is that authentication failed due to incorrect security password.    I have re entered the password several times all to no avail.
Anyone any ideas as to how I can restore the wireless connection.  I connect via the BT Voyager 2110 router supplied by Plusnet.
15 REPLIES 15
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Loss of wireless connection

Your new motherboard may well mean a new MAC code for the adapter. Have you got MAC filtering turned on in the router?
coastergrotto
Grafter

Mac filtering was turned on, but even with it turned off it makes no difference.    I have noticed a new Mac address (not for the wireless connection though) and have added it.
The computer does occasionally recognise the wireless connection in the Wireless Clients Table for a few seconds and then it disappears.  Whilst that still shows if I then I enter 'ipconfig/all' at the DOS prompt it lists the physical address correctly but shows the IP address and the subnet mask as 0.0.0.0
Is this the problem? If so how to get it show my IP address etc as it does for the ethernet connection.
paulby
Grafter

If the IP address is showing as 0.0.0.0 it means that you haven't been allocated an address.
Two things to check - can you redo ipconfig /all and note the physical address of your wireless adapter and double check that it appears in your MAC white list (physical address = MAC address).
Also go to Control Panel>Network Connections (Xp) or the Connection Center in Vista and right click on the wireless connection.  Select properties and then highlight TCP/IP (in Vista it's TCP/IP v4) and select properties.  Make sure it's set to "obtain an IP address automatically" and to "obtain DNS server addresses automatically".
Also, have you hidden your SSID?  Some PCs will only connect if they can see the SSID (you can normally hide it again after the initial connection).
coastergrotto
Grafter

I have made my SSID visible and also can confirm that the settings are set to "obtain an IP address automatically" and to "obtain DNS server addresses automatically".  Results still the same.
When I disabled the wireless security, I was able to connect via the wireless link but once I reset it to WAPA2-PSK (for Home/SOHO) I lost the wireless connection again.
Currently I have no wireless connection on either computer, as when I disabled it my 8200 lost it's wireless connection.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Drivers?
Is the new motherboard subtly different and needing new wireless drivers?
paulby
Grafter

Looks like it's a security issue.  I'd carefully go through all the steps for setting up the security from scratch - making sure that both PCs are capable of using your chosen encryption(WPA-PSK with TKIP should work on Xp and Vista machines) and that you've carefully entered the correct pass-phrase. 
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks Paul.    I've managed to get the computer with the new mother board connected now by setting the security to 128 - bit WEP but for some reason the other computer will not connect now.
Previously I had both running on the WPA2-PSK but I'll try that again later once I have sorted out the problem with the other laptop.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If the computer with the new motherboard runs XP a patch is needed to support WPA2-PSK security (I need to check the patch number). Perhaps installing the new motherboard requires that the patch to be reinstalled.
Will the computer connect using WPA-PSK?
David
paulby
Grafter

Try disabling any software firewalls temporarily (including the Windows firewall it that's what your using).  You can re-enable them once you get things working.  I've found that software firewalls often hinder the set-up of wireless connections! Also try using plain WPA-PSK rather than WPA2 (some Xp machines can't use WPA2).
Also, on the PCs, are you trying to connect automatically, i.e. scanning for the network and then entering the pass-phrase, or setting things up by manually entering the SSID, encryption type, etc.?  The latter normally makes sure things work properly!
Edit - just noticed spraxyt posted much the same about WPA as I was posting!
coastergrotto
Grafter

Both laptops are able to connect via wireless again now.  I had to re enter the settings on my other laptop to get it to connect.
I have security set to 128 bit WEP but as soon as I move it to WPA-PSK I lose my wireless connection.    I can't remember if I used to have the security settings at WPA-PSK (for Home/SOHO) or WPA2-PSK (for Home/SOHO) - it was one or the other but it won't take it now.
Any ideas?
Just seen the posting from spraxyt.   No the computer won't connect using WSA-PSK, not with the wireless connection, it will though via ethernet.     It's probably something simple that I've overlooked.
paulby
Grafter

Are you using TKIP or AES?  If you're having difficulty using WPA-PSK with AES try using WPA-PSK with TKIP.
BTW - the security settings (WPA etc.) have no effect on your wired ethernet connection - that's why it's best to make changes with a wired connection so that you don't inadvertently lock yourself out of your router when making wireless changes!!
coastergrotto
Grafter

OK,. I'll give it a whirl.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Good point Paul about using the wired connections.
However when I tried WPA-PSK or WPA2 neither worked and I lost my wireless connection on both machines on both occasions.
The annoying thing is I've been running with WPA for over a year now and not until the Dell engineer fitted the new mother board did this problem occur.
There is a minor fault on the hard drive of this machine and he brought a new hard drive to fit but my main concern was the sound, which has now been corrected, the hard drive can wait as I didn't fancy reinstalling everything at this moment in time.  I still have 30 months left on my onsite warranty so time is not a problem.
Looks like I'll have to proceed with the 128 bit WEP.      My security only allows both my laptops access via ethernet or wireless so I imagine I'm pretty secure without the extra WPA protection.      However I'll keep searching for an answer.   
Thanks for everyone's help and if you have any further ideas please let me know.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You could try re-initialising the TCP-IP stack using this freeware executable. It fixed an intermittent wireless connection problem I had on an old laptop around 12 months ago.
David