Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of wifi at the same time every day

hulls
Grafter

Loss of wifi at the same time every day

Hi
For the past few days, somewhere between 5:00 and 6:00 my wifi signal drops.  I have to switch the router off and on, and everything connects again fine (except internet which takes a few minutes)  I'm pretty sure it's not the broadband signal, because I'm on FTTC and don't turn off the modem, just the router to reset.  I'm assuming that it coincides with a neighbour coming home from work and turning something on, but how can I prevent it?
John
12 REPLIES 12
stallan
Grafter

Re: Loss of wifi at the same time every day

Use InSSIDer to look at the different Wireless Channels within you area, in particular around the times you mentioned. Then experiement with changing the channel on the router.
Do you know if the wireless drops on the laptop (or PC) or the router ?
Just out of interest, do you have wireless controls (and stat) for your central heating ?
hulls
Grafter

Thanks for the response. It's the router, because we lose signal to my desktop, my sons' laptops and my Ipod all at the same time.  Our thermostat is the old fashioned wired on the wall variety (but of course our next door neighbours' may not be  Embarrassed )
John
stallan
Grafter

Experiment with different Wireless Channels
hulls
Grafter

The router is set on auto channel, and at the moment net stumbler is finding 3 networks as well as my own - one's  BT Homehub, one BTOpenzone and one BTFON  (neither of the last 2 have encryption apparently)  They're all on channel 1 and I'm n channel 6.
If it happens again this afternoon, I'll check back to see if any other networks have joined.
John
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The 3 BT SSIDs will all be broadcast by the same BT HomeHub - one of your neighbours is a BT Total Broadband user, and is subscribed to BTFon. As they are all on channel 1, try setting your own wireless channel to 11 - there won't be any overlap there.
Obviously, if there are more networks on in the evening you may have to rethink.
hulls
Grafter

Isn't that typical?  It didn't happen this evening  Undecided Interestingly, when I looked at net stumbler again, the BT networks had moved to channel 6, and my router had moved to channel 1.
John
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Jaggies
As they are all on channel 1, try setting your own wireless channel to 11 - there won't be any overlap there.

BT Home Hubs generally use Channel 1,6,11 - If you change to something that isn't one of these. It'll probably be a lot better.
But then of course, It might not even be the BT hub that is causing the problem.
hulls
Grafter

It's still happening!  Today it was 6:20, so I assume one of my neighbours was later home from work than usual.  Turning the router off and then on again (not the modem) sorts it out (after a few minutes to allow it to reconnect to the modem)  The list of available networks before and after is the same so I don't think it's interference from another network.
John
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI hulls,
If you could maybe ask your neighbour what it is they switch on when they come in?
Jojo Smiley
hulls
Grafter

Just an update - it's still happening, although I've noticed the times vary. It may not happen at all for a few days, and then start again.  It's usually around 6:00 - 6:30, but last night it was 7:20.
We're on the end of 3 terraced houses, so only one neighbour actually next door, and they are generally short term (immigrants or students), so maybe it will cure itself.  Turning the router (but not the modem) off and on sorts it every time. Very strange  Huh
John
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Hi Hulls,
                just a thought, and maybe nothing but I had a router dropping problem ( which coincided with a line problem) and it was caused by a digital cordless phone.  I did some research on it and found that it caused connection problems for wi-fi.  The phone was an i-dect cordless phone. maybe, if your neighbours have family abroad, they wait until that time of night to 'phone home'.
Maybe have a look at their phone?
hulls
Grafter

worth asking - thanks.