Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of sync when phone is answered

FIXED
melindwr
Dabbler

Loss of sync when phone is answered

My DSL is back up to speed thanks to advice here. However as a result of installing dslstats I have noticed loss sync when the phone rings and/or answered.

I have a Panasonic cordless and when the phone rings there is a big spike in upstream error rate (I assume increasing noise), when the phone is answered the downstream errors shoot up too and the line loses sync. Read on the web likely to be rf interference so moved the base/phone to another room - no change. Must be the phone or possibly filtered faceplate (unknown make, 6 or so years old) so add filter to phone line and same problem. I have a corded phone, so switch off and disconnect cordless and plug in corded. This errors us on ringing exactly the same but ds errors on answer are there but much lower so no loss of sync. Can't test with no phone plugged in.

Ring BT support (phone provider) and line test reveals no faults.

Conclusions:
Cordless is generating both us and ds noise, time to bin the phone, buy new one from Argos and take back if problem persists?
Use of corded reduces ds noise, but there is still noise! So not just phone generated rf.
Unlikely to be filtered faceplate (but cheap to replace)

Any thoughts appreciated.  Anyone recommend a cordless which does not interfere with broadband?

SNRM when phone rings green is upstream With CORDED phone SNRM takes some time to recover

Screenshot from 2018-04-05 17-21-13.png

21 REPLIES 21
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Loss of sync when phone is answered

This sounds like a filter problem. If your using a filtered faceplate, try removing the faceplate and plug a microfilter into the test socket located behind the filtered faceplate and connect your phone to the microfilter along with the DSL cable and make a call and see if it drops sync.
Let us know how you get on
melindwr
Dabbler

Thanks for quick reply.  Have tried that and the router still looses sync when phone rings, noise is worse on filter than the faceplate.

Shep41
Seasoned Pro

Have your tried ringing 17070 and selecting option 2 quite line test( check for hissing crackles etc. It should be a silent line). There maybe an a fault on the phone line causing the connection to drop when a call is made or recieve
melindwr
Dabbler

Thanks Shep.  Already did that, my first thought.  Line is quiet.

Shep41
Seasoned Pro

Mmm maybe this needs reporting as a fault
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems when your phone rings.

Our tests also aren't finding the cause of that. However, this type of problem is something that should be investigated as a broadband fault rather than a phone fault unless there's noise on your phone line without your router plugged in?

If the line is quiet without the router plugged in I'd recommend raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can further investigate. However if the line is noisy without the router connected it might be best to call your phone provider again.

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
melindwr
Dabbler

Thanks.  I can't hear any noise on the line with modem on.  Will try again with modem off.  Have found that the problem is reduced by piggybacking filters for the phone.  With two the modem doesn't loose sync and and snrm drop is not as radical about 1db , with three the snrm drop is hardly noticeable and crc errors much reduced.  With double/treble filtering the errors only seem to affect the upstream traffic.

Will do a quiet line test again and get back to you.

melindwr
Dabbler

No noise on the quiet line.  Have ordered a new filtered faceplate earlier as the existing one is quite old.   Perhaps I should raise a fault.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah the next step I'd say is to raise a fault to us.

Have you tried a different router first though?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
melindwr
Dabbler

I  have tried my Archer D5.  It tells me it's connected and provides my IP, but I cannot access the internet (it did report SNRM of 2.14 billion!) last time it used it.  I have tried an old Safecom it will only connect via g.dmt (it's so old) it connects at the same rate as my Billion 7800DXL and doesn't appear to drop the broadband on telephone ring or use.  But its stats are too poor to reveal any other fault.

I have no other router.

melindwr
Dabbler

Away for weekend so will check back on Monday and raise a fault if no improvement with new filtered faceplate.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Does anyone know if in the end it turns out to be a router fault whether the OP would be presented with a £65 bill for a call out for a fault on the consumer's side of the master socket? If so it may be worth spending a few quid on Ebay for a spare router rather than take the risk.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have tried an old Safecom it will only connect via g.dmt (it's so old) it connects at the same rate as my Billion 7800DXL and doesn't appear to drop the broadband on telephone ring or use. 

This might indicate the problem lies with your Billion router?

Does anyone know if in the end it turns out to be a router fault whether the OP would be presented with a £65 bill for a call out for a fault on the consumer's side of the master socket?

That's correct, unless we provided the router within the last 12 months.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

So, my analysis of where we are:

1. There are indications that the problem could be a faulty router.

2. If an 'engineer' from BT is called out and it is a faulty router then if the router is outside of its 1year warranty period then the OP will be charged £65.

3. A spare router that will work on the Plusnet ADSL network can be bought from Ebay for around £10.

@melindwr The choice is yours. I suggest that the first thing to do is to check whether the router is still in warranty. If it's out of warranty I would get a spare router. If you get a Hub One these work on both ADSL and VDSL and are better than the Hub Zero. If you want better Wifi performance for a bit more money then get a BT Smarthub 6.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'