Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of service

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Loss of service

I lost my connection at 00:23. Looking at the router log it came back at 02:25. I'm presuming this was some sort of Plusnet or BT maintenance - why no advance notice? I was in the middle of a remote desktop session when it dropped so I'm not best pleased!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Loss of service

Hi Jelv,
I suspect this may well be what's affected you - http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1332944052.htm
Sorry about that.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I was fully aware of that service status posting.
Am I likely to notice the work?
Yes. Users on the BT 21cn network may be disconnected from the internet for the duration of the maintenance.

I'm on 20CN.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've now found this: http://status.aa.net.uk/apost.cgi?incident=1468
Looks like the ISP's need to ask BT some questions.
x47c
Grafter

It also wiped out my 20CN connection - last few days before I get switched to 21CN though
...and now upon the re-connection I've got one of those lovely "37....." series of IP addresses which is blocked by iplayer.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: jelv
Looks like the ISP's need to ask BT some questions.

We don't need to ask any questions.
The maintenance affected both WBMC *and* IPSC circuits as per the attached session graphing. AAISP have put out a few announcements recently that implied they weren't aware of he work before it happened (It's been almost every morning this week).
FWIW this is a copy of the original notice we received from Wholesale:
[quote author="BT Wholesale"]BT Wholesale 21CN broadband WBMC shared platform is undergoing a Programme of works which will start in late February  2011 and is expected to be completed by end of April 2012.
This notification is in reference to Programme 11(MPLS Router Code Upgrade) of the agreed program of works.
This program of work is to undertake the code upgrade of the P/MSPE routers and align them with the current recommended version.
This planned work will result in an outage of between 4-6 hours, to minimize the impact on our customers the work will be carried out between Midnight to 6am. This work is due at the (SLOUGH TE) Exchange/Region on the (29/03/2012 )
Please note, this date has a number of dependencies and Re-Plan notifications may be sent with new dates.
The Planned work will have the following impact:
WCC , WBMC over IPsC and WBMC over WBC traffic will be affected as outlined below:
At site
. End Users who are connected to the site will have no service during the pew period.
. At the interconnect sites - Stepney Green, Manchester, Faraday, Birmingham and Colindale there will be no impact unless one of the above are stated in the Pew.
This message is to provide detailed supplementary information in relation to the PEW.
If you find there are any inconsistencies, please advise your CRM to enable us to conduct further analysis and put corrective actions in place
Our announcement was wrong and should have said all customers (Fibre included - my connection went down last night) rather than singling out 21CN. Sorry about that. I'll make sure any future announcements are adjusted accordingly.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Thanks for that Bob. I had read the announcement and if I had thought I would be affected would have made sure that I was finished before midnight!
PS. The aaisp announcement was automated I think and got triggered by the lines going down. It was posted 1 minute 20 seconds after the lines dropped so I can't see a human reacting that quickly!