cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of service warning

Zero

Loss of service warning

Ok, I know it's a trial, but we have not had a connection for thirteen days now!  My provisioning date was Friday 13th March and the internet disappeared on schedule. And stayed disappeared. I had noted a post elsewhere on the forum that  quoted someone as not even dropping his vpn during the switch and so I was patient.  I gave it 24 hours before raising a ticket which was eventually passed on to BT. (weekend got in the way)  We are connected to Orpington (Kent)  Exchange, about 2 miles away, which was supposedly ready for 21cn in January.
  It took more than a week before my Linksys detected a dsl carrier and synced, ( at around 5022 kbps) but there is still no internet! So the the warning is:  Be prepared for a long haul and check out that old modem and your dial up configuration before the plugs are pulled! And warn the kids that they might not be appearing on facebook for a while.
Am I just unlucky or are there dozens of triallers out there who can't complain because they can't log in!
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: Loss of service warning

Hi Zero,
You have been very unlucky and I'm very sorry for the loss in service.
From what I can tell, it's been a wiring and configuration error at the BT end.  I'm asking one of our faults guys to chase this for you now.
adios
Dabbler

Nope I too have not been able to connect at all for 13 days after being moved over to the 21CN platform.
All I am getting is a very frustrating noises on the phone line and the router not syncing.
Been promised a BT engineer to visit on Monday and Wesnesday but still nobody has appeared.  And to cap it all off the fault reporting system is now down according to PN.
Zero

Thanks James. However, as Adios notes, the 21cn fault reporting system is bust so I am not holding my breath today!  My partner (VERY  cross without her internet fix)  wonders why PN can't phone BT. Good question.
By the way, to Adios, Our telephone is working fine with no funny noises, just no internet.
James
Grafter

Hi,
I'll try and get updates for both of you shortly.  I've asked one of the faults guys to chase.
Bob641uk

You are not alone Zero!  Pretty similar story for me, switch over on the 19th March and no real internet since, although I can VPN to my office.  I am up for the trial and problem fiinding etc. but this is now getting beyond the acceptable.  I expect a bit extra from Plusnet for the trial but all I have had is the robotic broadband fault finding regime that quite clearly keeps any real resolution at bay.  I wouldn't mind if I could see some action - but there is nothing other than "we/our supplier are still investigating".  My router (a 3Com 3CRWDR101A-75) is allegedy 21CN compatible and is solid (showing as synched and PPoA connected) but no effective internet connection.  Some sites I use do a partial page load e.g the Radio Times and I can do Google searches, but in general no internet and no e-mail.
It would be nice to think that Plusnet is being proactive, but my ticket log does not show any evidence of that I am afraid.  Can I ask that this health warning is put to the top of the list here so that folks embarking on the trial are effectively forewarned, not about the fact that ye might get some problems but more that ye can expect fingers up arses at Plusnet!
I wonder if Plusnet is going to draw down my Direct Debit next month?
Sauniere
Grafter

Similar story here.  I was apparently moved over on the 16th but noticed no change until I requested the upstream cap be removed on the 23rd.  Once that had been done (on the 25th March) the upstream doubled in speed and a downstream sync was a full mb higher. However, I immediately lost the ability to connect to the internet or receive e-mails and have had no connection since then. There has been lots of plusnet troubleshooting that seems to be covering the same ground.  Most of this has been done via their ticketing system which is pointless seeing as how I have no connection and can't therefore view the damn thing.  I have since accessed their online fault system using my mobile phone and subsequently called them.  This has now been escalated to BT and I've been told it can take 48-72 hours to get a response.           
James
Grafter

Hi Sauniere,
I believe we tried applying your upstream cap again as it appeared that your loss in service started when this was turned off.
I take it nothing has happened since it was turned back on again?
Sauniere
Grafter

Hi James,
I wasn't aware that you were trying that but I did notice that the upstream had reduced to 448 ish again at some stage.  No, nothing has happened since then.  I spoke to Mark over the weekend and he was pretty helpful, we eliminated my hardware (tried a different router) and we tried the bt test connections.  I was able to authenticate successfully but not connect to the internet.  My static IP should be a 212 address but since the upstream was uncapped it has changed to 172 which Mark said looked like an internal BT one.  I've changed cables, router, microfilter, tried connecting from another PC in my house, tried connecting via my iphone and all get the same issue.         
adie:quote
James
Grafter

Thanks.
We've got a fault open with BT for you.  Hopefully we should hear back shortly.
Sauniere
Grafter

Thanks James.  Hopefully we can get a resolution as I don't think I could stand another weekend without a connection.  GPRS via phone is like torture.
Apologies for quote use above,
Zero

Well  We're still off line. 17 days now.  Iv'e bought one of those vodafone usb dongles (with no contract, so once this is over I'm not lumbered with a monthly payment) After the £39 up front It's £15 per gigabyte, pay as you go. but that's lasting pretty well for surfing and email and even skyping to Sweden.  Its sometimes a bit reluctant to find 3G indoors in  this area but it beats dial up for speed and I was getting concerned about the cost of the 0845 number piling up. Who'd've thought mobile was going to be  cheaper than a landline! Not only that, you can plug it into any one of your computers, not just your laptop,  on a usb extension if you like and dangle it by the window!. (you need XP SP2 or Vista btw)
This isn't an ad, I expect other networks do the same?? I just happened to know there was a reasonable vodafone signal down in our dip.  I wouldn't want to be downloading iPlayer stuff this way!
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Zero
[...]I was getting concerned about the cost of the 0845 number piling up.[...]

Hmm - if you have no ADSL connection because of a fault, you should have access to the free dial-up number.
Its an 0800 number, and you should see a message saying
Script User Automated Script Pool  	9:48am, Monday 30th March 2009
Plus.net Heavy FRIACO dialup (0808 9933270) component added to account

It'll be somewhere in one of your tickets if its been added - usually the one where you followed the Faults wizard to raise the initial ticket.
Yep - its a sod that there is no explanation of what this means, but put simply it means you can use dialup on a freephone number until PN get you back up and running.
You will have to check your tickets, as I believe that different freephone numbers might be assigned to different accounts. Use your usual username and password to connect.
(Don't worry about me posting the number here - you can only use it for the period of the fault, and access is removed once your fault is fixed.)
Zero

Thanks for the info James. I looked back over the answers but can't find anything. I was given an 0845  number over the phone when I first phoned PN but it was always engaged. On a second call I was then given a different 0845 number which worked fine. I have just tried the number you quoted for me and it works ok. Cheers.
Apparently  BT have tried to check my line again today but can't see or sync my router which is odd 'cos I can see them. I hope they are looking at the right line!
Zero

Just to round this thread off,  We regained contact with the world on Friday 3rd April.  That  was 21 days offline in the end.  We are  currently synchronised at 5718 down and 444 up and achieving PN speed tests of around 3995 kbps.  It's creeping up slowly but it doesn't give the impression that it is going ballistic anytime soon! It doesn't help to know that my son, living in Stockholm, is on 100 Mbps!

So,  to recap, be very certain you (and your nearest and dearest! ) really  want to enter this trial and also have your backups ready.  Check out that dusty old US Robotics modem and get an 0808 number from PN as soon as you can if you lose contact.  The actual billing for 0845 numbers is the nearest thing I've seen to a random number generator and although the cost per minute seems to be fractions of a penny it piles up surprisingly quickly,  partly because we are all now used to "always on" and also because dial-up is now so darned slow.