cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of service in daytime

mrbongo

Loss of service in daytime

My normally 2mb line won't connect during the day - is fine from about 6pm though. Have done all the checks at my end and there are no networking issues. PlusNet Fault Checker says line is fine. It seemed to occur just as the weather turned colder! Anyone any ideas? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Loss of service in daytime

Do you have any problems with normal voice calls during this time i.e. noise on the line, crackling etc?
How many phones, faxes, sky boxes etc  do you actually have connected to your home wiring and are they all via ADSL filters?
If you do manage to connect, what are the line stats from ADSL equipment and how does it compare to after 6pm?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Does this happen every day?
It sounds really strange, normally it's the other way round when there's generally more noise on the line (central heating systems, street lighting and so on).
mrbongo

Today it's been fine! I checked the info from my router and noted the following;
12.30pm US Margin 25 / DS Margin 9 / DS Line Attenuation 54  US Line Attenuation 31
6.50pm  US Margin 25 / DS Margin 6 / DS Line Attenuation 54  US Line Attenuation 31
Does this help explain the issue?
thanks for the replies so far.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You didn't include sync speed (sometimes called line rate or data rate) in your list. Assuming that was the same at 6:50pm as at 12:30pm the DS noise margin reducing from 9dB to 6dB is the normal trend as it gets dark. If the noise margin drops much further later on you might experience a disconnection/re-sync.
David
James
Grafter

If you do continue to experience connection drops, we can ask them to assign your a target SNR of 9dB.
As you manage to hold the connection fine in the evenings on apparently 9dB, then that would probably make sense.
CWatters
Grafter

Anywhere near a factory or light industrial unit that might be creating a lot of electrical noise in the daytime?  Is it the same on a sunday when they are shut down?