cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of link during the evening

mgwilliam
Grafter

Loss of link during the evening

For some time I have suffered loss of link during the evenings. As darkness falls the SNR drops steadily and link goes. I use a Belkin G+ MIMO Modem which tries to reconnect but is not successful until such time as I reboot it. This is a typical readout:
Sep 17 22:32:03 critical kernel: ADSL link down
Sep 17 22:32:04 critical pppd[331]: Clear IP addresses. Connection DOWN.
Sep 17 22:32:04 critical pppd[331]: Clear IP addresses. PPP connection DOWN.
Sep 17 22:32:10 critical kernel: ADSL G.994 training
Sep 17 22:32:15 critical kernel: ADSL G.992 started
Sep 17 22:32:20 critical kernel: ADSL G.992 channel analysis
Sep 17 22:32:21 critical kernel: ADSL link up, interleaved, us=448, ds=4800
Sep 17 22:32:24 critical pppd[331]: PPP LCP UP.
The last line is repeated about every 8 seconds until such time as I reboot it. When it is rebooted I get exactly the same except the last line is not repeated but followed by:
Jan 1 00:00:30 critical pppd[331]: Received valid IP address from server. Connection UP.
This would appear to indicate that when the link is lost the router is calling but not getting a valid IP address back and will therefore not reconnect. The router is set to accept server assigned address.
I have had a ticket (22636721) running sometime regarding loss of link and I am told that the fall in sync rate is not enough to warrant a BT call out.
When I raised the specific question as to why the router is not automatically reconnecting PN ignored it.
Anyone any ideas?
Mike
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Loss of link during the evening

mgwilliam,
Does your drop in speed coincide with street lighting?  This is a potnetial cause of the problems that you are seeing, with the street lighting causing interference with the broadband signal down your phone line.
Regarding the router not reconnecting asutomatically, this will be down to your router failing to reattain the connection, not anything that BT or PlusNet are doing.
James
Grafter

It's also worth pointing out that the reconnection issue was addressed in your ticket this morning.
mgwilliam
Grafter

Hello Pirate....
The reconnection issue was only addressed when I asked for an answer to my question which had been ignored. I have tried 2 routers and get the same problem. I am hoping to borrow another one and try that but find it hard to believe that I have 2 faulty routers.
Secondly the streetlight question has also been addressed. I was originally suspicious of this but the fall in SNR starts before the lights come on.
I have had this irritating problem for months now and because the drop in sync rate is so say within acceptable margins a BT callout comes with the threat of a hefty bill. As a pensioner I am none too happy with that.
Mike

James
Grafter

Hi Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to talk to me earlier.
As discussed, I've now raised your fault to BT and will update you as soon as I have heard back from them.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Well Mike for what it's worth my experience with a Belkin router is similar i'm afraid. Although it wasnt the same model as yours ( it was a F5D7630 ) it did similar things. Would not automatically connect after the DSL link came back, I always had to manually connect ( or reboot ). Not long ago I happened to change the  router to a BT 2700HGV and, although it very rarely drops the conection, when it does it resysncs and reconnects within seconds.
My office connection has a NetGear DG834 and I have seen that do a similar thing , it also will not reconnect until rebooted.
Thats on Demon so I dont think it's a Plusnet problem.
I guess some routers are just not good at reconnecting...
I hesitate to suggest checking if any firmware updates are available for the router as that could just open another can of worms!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I do have the same Belkin G+ MIMO router (F5D9830-4) and confirm it does not reconnect after a re-sync unless I reboot it.
It would seem that this characteristic is a feature of more than one model of the Belkin router range, perhaps the two mentioned have the same chip-set.
David
mgwilliam
Grafter

Thanks very much for the input and also my thanks to James of PN who has been very helpful.
Since my post I have had a visit from BT. One faulty socket which was BT installed some years ago otherwise all was well with setup. I have tried 2 different Belkin modems and both still fail to reconnect unless rebooted. Today I am trying a DLink borrowed from my neighbour and this appears to reconnect without problems.
Looks as though I will have to get the plastic out and buy a new modem or maybe take the Belkin back saying it is not fit for purpose! Question is "What modem to get?"
mgwilliam
Grafter

Thanks for the pointer. Price looks reasonable and I will no doubt make a move shortly.
However we still have not solved the underlying problem of SNR drop. Line is rock solid through the day and this is what happened yesterday:
Logged on in morning before 9am. Sync rate 7008
At 1910 modem resynced at 6336
At 1943 another drop to 5856
and at 2111 dropped to 5472.
It held steady until shut down at about 2330.
This morning sync rate is 7104
The drop yesterday was about 22%.  Question is "Where is the noise coming from?"
Anyone with a crystal ball?!!