Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of connection

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Loss of connection

I wouldn't have wasted my money.If it didn't work when plugged into a filter, tough. If Sky were to complain, I'd just say it must be their lead that's faulty, come and fix it.
matthewk1971
Grafter

Right, I managed to get a replacement filter on friday eve and have had it in place since then.
Still no improvement. Having to reboot the modem twice a day over the weekend.
What do I try next.....
Anotherone
Champion

I don't think anyone has asked why do you need to "reboot"? Is the modem/router locking up, or just refusing to connect?
What modem/router have you got? can you post your current ADSL line stats DS & US sync/connect speed, Attenuation, SNRM (Noise Margin) & Power. If you need info how to get them - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Can you also post the results from the following -
BT speedtest - http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
PN Profile - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (delete last 6 digits of phone number if present)
PN speedtest - http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
Advise which gateway you are on - http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
Check your exchange VP status - http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
If you listen to your phone line can your hear any crackling or other intermittent noises?
matthewk1971
Grafter

Like I said at the start, the net just doesn't work, pages stop loading, all programs disconnect.
Rarely it will come back to life after only a couple of minutes, but 99% of the time I have to power off the modem to get it to reconnect.
I am also suffering from very poor performance and speed issues, but atm I am hoping they are all related.
The modem is a DLINK DSL-300T.
Line stats are as follows;
US Connection Rate - 480
DS Connection Rate - 6240
DS Line Attenuation - 40
DS Margin - 12
US Line Attenuation - 43
US Margin - 13
US Payload - 276862512
DS Payload - 3555445968
US Transmit Power - 9
DS Transmit Power - 16
Is this enough data?
In the order you posted them;
Constantly Server Busy Error
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed: 8000
Date - Today 18:26
Download Speed - 5164 kbps (646kB/s)
Upload Speed - 394 kbps (49.3kB/s)
You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 5" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as thn-ag2
Results: Blackburn
Code: LCBLK
County: Lancashire
Enabled: 29 Jun 2000
Market: 3
Colour: Green VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
Colour: Green BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN
Colour: Unknown You can view recent Service Outages for this exchange here
Colour: Unknown BT has published DSL Max upgrade information for this exchange
I did mention earlier that I had noise when I reconnected my sky cable, but without it connected as it has been for the last 5 months or so, no, there is no noise.
Anotherone
Champion

Well done for the info, that's great, don't worry about the BT speedtester, the rest will do for now.
Just to get the Sky bit out of the way, it's likely the noises you could hear was the Sky box calling home.
I see your exchange is WBC enabled, are you on the ADSL2+ trial? There are odd things going on there.
As you've tried all the obvious basic things, I'd say it was time to borrow another modem/router some of the stats are inconsistent and it's highly probable it could be playing up, so all your issues would be related. The DS & US attenuations don't tally, nor do the powers, nor do the noise margins.
If you can't borrow one from a friend, James may be able to organise one.
matthewk1971
Grafter

I didn't volunteer for any trials and haven't noticed being informed I am on anything so I should not be on any.
I am not at all sure I will be able to get another modem, I will try tomorrow and see but not sure what to do it I can't
During the day today seemed to be more stable, but I have had to reset it three times tonight.
I play football manager online, and at one point msn and FML were both working fine, but no web pages would load at all. Other times it all goes off.
The differences tonight from last night are...
DS Connection Rate - 6336
DS Margin - 9
US Payload - 5769888
DS Payload - 34371456
US Transmit Power - 10
James
Grafter

Hi Matthew,
You're not on a trial - We wouldn't put you on anything like that without you asking us to.
Let me know if you have any joy getting hold of another modem and if not I'm sure I can sort something out for you.
Anotherone
Champion

Can't come to any real conclusions on those stats as a lot of them are missing. & James has just responded about the modem/router.
matthewk1971
Grafter

They aren't missing, I put in the post that there are the differences, all the other figures were the same as the full list.
I haven't managed to borrow a modem yet, but will keep trying on the off chance.
If there is someting you could do James that would be great.
Cheers.
matthewk1971
Grafter

Still no solution here, still having the same problems, connection dropping, speed going as slow as dial up, usenet saying cannot connect without a proper reason.
Any other ideas?
Have posted my modems connection data, but am unable to swap the modem without buying a new one.
I can't see how this is the cause as it is so intermittently random, and a reset pretty much always sorts it out.
James
Grafter

Hi Matthew,
I've just raised a ticket on your account to let you know that I've ordered you a router for you to test on your connection.
matthewk1971
Grafter

Thanks James, I hope it helps find the problem one way or another.
Cheers for your fast reply!