cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of ISP Connection

fredor
Grafter

Loss of ISP Connection

I am running the RIN trial and have been for some time and generally, i am very pleased with it.
This morning, however, I was unable to connect to the Internet or PlusNet mail servers.
The sync with ADSL is fine (6500 kbps) and noise level is reasonable (ca. 11Db).
The errored seconds are running at 900 per 15 mins which is total error. Hence no internet.
Rebooting the router clears the problem and everything is fine but what causes these errors? It can't be contention during the off-peak period and if it were, it would not be cured with a reboot.
I am running a Netgear DG834PN router.
Has anyone else had similar problems with RIN or with the normal system?
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Loss of ISP Connection

Hi there,
Do you see the same symptoms when connected to username@plusdsl.net?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The only time I get that is when my noise margin drops to about 2dB and doesn't recover but one thing which could be checked is whether the reported errors  (not error seconds) were upstream or downstream as the reported upstream noise margin isn't dynamic.
For some reason my router doesn't reboot at high error rates but that is actually quite useful as it only occurs in the early hours and usually the noise margin recovers.
fredor
Grafter

Quote from: James
Hi there,
Do you see the same symptoms when connected to username@plusdsl.net?

It's a long time since I was connected to 'username@plus.net' so I can't say. Also it doesn't happen very often. Normally, I have been switching the router off with the computer so there is no problem. Recently, I have networked another computer so I have taken to leaving the router on permanently.
I will give 'username@plus.net' a try and see if it occurs again.
Many Thanks
fredor
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
The only time I get that is when my noise margin drops to about 2dB and doesn't recover but one thing which could be checked is whether the reported errors  (not error seconds) were upstream or downstream as the reported upstream noise margin isn't dynamic.
For some reason my router doesn't reboot at high error rates but that is actually quite useful as it only occurs in the early hours and usually the noise margin recovers.

from OldFred to OldJim
As far as I am aware the errors are on the 'down' side. certainly the 'CRC' errors are. I'm not sure what some of the other initials represent. My router always reboots and adjusts the sync rate accordingly and recovers from the 'errored seconds' problem.
At the moment, I am on 'username@plus.net' so we'll see if there is a reccurrence. Although in the past, I have run continuously for 3 or 4 weeks without a problem.
Many Thanks
fredor
Grafter

The loss of ISP occured again last night running with 'username@plus.net'.
Overnight:-
SFErr  Down 2341412 Up 4
SNR this morning was 11.8dB
Rebooting restored the system to normal
fredor
Grafter

After 5 days with no problems the errors returned this morning requiring a router reboot.
This was back with the RIN trial.
James
Grafter

Keep us updated as to whether or not the problems continue.  Getting a once-every-5-day-disconnection isn't something that we'll be able to get BT to take much interest in, but if it start happening more often then we'll definitely need to look into a potential cause.