cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Broadband Function

NeilStirling

Loss of Broadband Function

Hi All,
I have recently subscribed to PlusNet Broadband with Thomson Wireless Router 585v7 (have been online for approximately one month). When I go online the broadband works fine for a period of time with good speed but after being online for a while it ceases up and I cannot even open google webpage no matter how long I leave it. My only option is to disconnect for a period before reconnecting when it generally works fine again. This is a persistant problem and is becoming rather irritating. I would be grateful for any advice that anyone can offer.
Thanks
Neil
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Loss of Broadband Function

This looks to be, at first glance, a router problem.
When it happens can you check the state of the router lights.
There is another possibility (a bit remote but worth checking) that something is eating up your bandwidth (P2P or virus).
Assuming you only have one computer attached and that there are no other users stealing your bandwidth can you install this program http://www.rokario.com/products/bandmon/2-0/ which will show the bandwidth your computer is using.
NeilStirling

As recommended, I checked the state of the router lights when the problem occurred.  The wireless and internet lights flash rather than remaining continuously lit.  I also downloaded the recommended program, but i am unsure how you use it to check your bandwidth.  I would be grateful if you could provide further advice.
Thanks, Neil.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

With Bandwidth Monitor once installed start the program and you should see something like this.
It should auto detect your network - if it doesn't right click on the window and select settings and you will see the other picture - try auto-detect but if that doesn't work just select your network card from the drop down menu
Note the two colours - red is downstream and green is upstream traffic.
With respect to the router lights I don't have a 585 v7 router but on the version 6 the flashing lights indicate traffic - see the pic from the manual and I can't see that changing
Just a thought -I assume that you have WPA encryption set on the router wireless.