cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like we can now get a faster speed if I change my product, help please.

paulpicks21
Grafter

Looks like we can now get a faster speed if I change my product, help please.

Hi Guys/gals
Been a while since I posted on here, but I usually get some great help from the staff so I thought I would fire a new question on here ( I know it's the weekend now so may not get a reply til next week).

BT openreach have been doing a lot of work in my area in preparation for FTTC due at the end of this year so I have been keeping my eyes on things.

Today I went to BT's website and typed in my phone number as usual to see if any updates on FTTC had come up.
It still stated December for FTTC but it now stated I could should be able to get 17mb down my current line, I am guessing adsl2+?
At present I get 6.6meg and do have the adsl2+ router.
I logged our account on plusnet and it states if I change my product to "extra" or "Value" the estimated speed will be 17mb however the change won't take place until our next billing date which is the 19th October Cry
Is there any way this can be speeded up?
We would want the extra product.

Hope that all makes sense and sorry for the long post.

Regards
Paul.
EDIT: ALL SORTED NOW, SEE LAST POST.
15 REPLIES 15
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Looks like we can now get a faster speed if I change my product, help please.

I dont think you have to change product, but could be wrong
what package are you currently on as that might make even more changes - lower price, more G, different  feature
paulpicks21
Grafter

Re: Looks like we can now get a faster speed if I change my product, help please.

Hi Pierre, current package is plusnet premium.
Cheers
Paul.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

According to this http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet_premium_archive.shtml you can get full ADSL2+ speeds
If your sync is only 6.6Mb/s then either BT are telling porkies or something is adrift with your line.
Can you post the stats from your router and also put your post code (not telephone number) into http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
paulpicks21
Grafter

Hi Oldjim,
Well this is something that has changed within the last 24hrs, yesterday both BT and plusnet said I could get upto 8meg and the estimate was 7meg.  Both sites today now show 17meg
What info do you want from the 2nd link?
It says -
Fixed ADSL: 2048 kbps (2 Mb)
DSL Max:  7500 kbps (7.5 Mb)
21CN WBC : 17000 kbps (17 Mb)
I thought perhaps if the new speeds had only been available for the last day then perhaps plusnet need to do something their end?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You can have ADSL2+ on your current package if you want it. Just raise a ticket to request the change. It takes 7 working days for the change to be implemented - it involves physical changes to your connection at the exchange. (I'm assuming you are not already on 21CN but with ADSL1 - if you were the change takes 1 working day.)
If you want to change to Extra your data allowance would reduce to 60GB, but the cost would be £2 or £4.50 per month cheaper (depending on which market your exchange is in). That change would have to take place at next billing date.
David
David
paulpicks21
Grafter

Thanks for your reply David.
To be honest I am at this moment unsure if it is Adsl2+, I am hoping someone from plusnet can look into it tomorrow for me and see if we can actually get the faster speeds.
It would be much easier if we could stay on the same product, we pay extra for the low latency add on, can't remember what its called now.
If I get nowhere on the forum tomorrow then I will give them a bell towards the end of the day to see what's what.
Cheers
Paul.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you post your router stats, part of then indicate if you are on ADSL2
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
paulpicks21
Grafter

Hi Pierre,
I have tried absolutely everything to get into my router but with no luck.
I reset the router by holding in the button on the back til all the lights came on.
I then assumed that to enter it I would either just put "Administrator" and leave password blank or put "Administrator" and put serial number of the router in for the password.

So I can't post my router stats I'm afraid.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what router do you have?
paulpicks21
Grafter

Thomson TG585 V7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

admin
Admininistrator for the early ones
the number on the unit for recent (Casesensative
the V 8 is the number/word on the unit
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this shows its ADSL2
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
992.3 is ADSL1
paulpicks21
Grafter

Thanks for your help Pierre.
I am now into the router.
It says G.992.1 annex A
paulpicks21
Grafter

All sorted now, rang plusnet and the exchange is enabled for adsl2+ so the order has been put in to change it which should take a week ish.

Thanks again for peoples help on here.
Will let you know how the speeds are after.

Paul.