cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to rejoin PN

Grafter

Re: Looking to rejoin PN

Jus to resurrect this, I'm still looking for a new ISP, and PN is still a consideration. So I started the re-joining process today, and checked what the estimated speed would be just out of interest. Bearing in mind that when I did the same thing a couple of weeks back, the estimated speed per the PN site was 5mbps, which I was told by Adam can be conservative. Today's speed estimate from the PN website is 2mbps. Online chat support were unable to tell me why there has been a massive drop.
I know that PN will say that this is BT's info, and I'm aware that it is in both cases, and must be accepted in good faith. So, what has happened at PN in the past couple of weeks to result in the huge reduction in estimated speeds?
Just for info I was getting speeds of 3.5mbps from PN using their service until about a month ago, and am currently getting 5.8mbps with O2, so the reduction to less than I was actualy getting with PN previously is puzzling.
HaydnExport
Grafter

I think they get the info for the estimates off your ip profile , and that can vary from day to day.
Grafter

Any idea how that works then? I've been with O2 for a month, and speed has been around 5-6mbps all the time. 2 speedtests today show 5.8mbps. I guess what I'm really asking is, if I rejoin, is my speed going to take a dive to 1/3 of that which I'm currently getting?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

are you on O2 LLU or O2 access?
Grafter

I'm on O2 LLU, but my queston really relates to PN: going from 3.5mbps a month ago, and estimated 5mbps at that time if I stayed, to an estimated 2mbps now doesn't seem to make sense.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

There's one sure way of finding out, Join with PN and take the no-contract option.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: 430
I looking for alternatives to O2, which has been my provider for the past month (horrific service)

What's wrong with O2?  You have not expressed any dissatisfaction with the speed you achieved with them.  Is download speed really the issue?
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
What's wrong with O2? 

Where would you like me to start? The fact that they lied to me at sign-up by telling me that all of their support is UK based, when I later discovered that online suport is based in India -  a fact that they go to great lengths to conceal. Their staff on the O2 customer support forum refuse to answer the question, but the truth will always out. And the fact that they made a complete mess of my account, so that I now have 2 usernames and 2 email addresses, when I only want 1. And the fact that their telephone support is useless.
Hence the reason I am considering returning. I was with PN for 5 years, but eventually felt I was being ripped off for the service I was getting. £15 for a 3.5mbps connection and 2Gb allowance was awful value.
However, if it's for a 2mbps connection, then it's a non-starter. And I don't feel like paying £25 just to find out if the estimate is right or wrong.
Speed is fine though, usually Smiley

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: 430
£15 for a 3.5mbps connection and 2Gb allowance was awful value.

I would agree with that .  But Plusnet's "Value" package has a 10G allowance and costs me £12 per month because I'm on the wrong telephone exchange.  You might do much better.
As for speed, realistically unless your phone line has deteriorated you will get the same broadband speed you did before.  Under the right circumstances you could do better; it looks as if you could now be on ADSL2+.  If you were unlucky you could do worse, but your past experience trumps any estimate.  I know it is tantamount to heresy to say this here, but beyond a certain point I'm not sure speed is all that important. 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 430,
As Adam said earlier, if the line supported 3.5 before there's no reason why it won't again. It would be easy for us to say 'yeah yeah yeah come back to us, it'll all be ok' but we do want you to have a positive experience and start off by being up front with you. If you do decide to rejoin us then one thing you can rest assured about is the support you will receive.
As for the ADSL2+ we would only advised users who get 4Meg or more to upgrade, as below this there would be no noticeable difference. Indeed, in some cases it would become even slower!
Jojo Smiley
Grafter

Hi Jojo, appreciate the honesty approach (not something I got with O2 Angry )
What's confusing me though is the PN estimate from 2 weeks ago of 5mbps vs. the PN estimate now of 2mbps. Any ideas why it should have dramatically reduced?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI 430,
to be honest, without looking into it further (with no knowledge of whether I'd find a definitive answer or how long it would take) I would say the main thing we should focus on is the word 'estimate' and the fact that you've had 3.5 before is smack bang in the middle of that estimate would probably indicate that should be achievable once again. So..... come on.... you know you want to Smiley
Jojo
Grafter

Tempting, but PN is going to have to try a bit harder Smiley
I think you are being let down by your owner. I've just done check with BT, and their estimate of speed with them is 2.5mbps. I'm now thoroughly confused, but I do know that I would be a fool to switch from a 5.5mbps connection  to 2mbps connection (or even 3.5mbps) with PN.  Looks like I'm stuck with O2 for a year.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I know what you mean. It's a shame you couldn't have that speed with our support and prices.
Jojo Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

these are for my line
BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Braintree telephone exchange.
    * ADSL is available in your area
    * Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
    * Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support
up to 2Mbps via ADSL
7.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
13Mbps or greater via ADSL2+
Standard ADSL RAG results
    * You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
    * You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
    * You can receive 512kbps ADSL
    * You can receive 256kbps ADSL
However, there is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.

I was on ADSL Max until recently and had a profile of 7150
from the 15th I was put on ADSL 2  profile now 13000
so are you looking at plain vaanilla ADSL?