cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long line, was fast but now slow

hantshog

Long line, was fast but now slow

I'm on a long line, 6 miles or 6 kilometres, can't remember the units but it is very long. This I accept and cannot change. When we first got broadband on this line we had a stable 1.5Mbps throughput for about three years. It was very useable where two persons could video stream happily. This was impressive considering the length of the line. However, the three year honeymoon period started going down with speeds dropping significantly, we're talking 26Kbps. Each time I called the ISP\BT they always found a fault somewhere be it line poundage, water leaks, line voltage battery spikes at the exchange etc. The fault would be fixed and we had our "fast" broadband back. When I say fast over 1Mbps peeking at 2Mbps for a period.

Now especially over the last two years we barely get above 750Kbps with a rare occurence of 1Mbps. Each time it rains or it is windy the speed drops. I call the ISP, BT finds a fault and fix it along with the "your on a long line so it's slow" excuse. This excuse is now wearing thin. I'm a reasonable person but call me cynical but surely if I had a steady 1.5Mbps+ for 3 years and coupled with the [-Censored-] poor performance of late being weather related the line must be degrading and can be fixed.

I am now convinced more than ever that BT\Plusnet just could not give a stuff about spending money in the rural areas to make good their lines and rely on the "You're on a long line" excuse. As I write this email it has rained, SNR Margin is now 10/10. I know that if I log a support call it will be "Sorry we can't do anything as you are on a long line" followed by shruggy shoulder syndrome. BT Wholesale Speed Tester now considers my acceptable range of speeds to be from 0.05Mbps to 0.5Mbps.

How much worse must it get before BT\Plusnet do anything to get things back to the way they were? This must be the only product\market place where over time one spends more money for a considerable worse service year on year.

3 REPLIES 3
Charles101
Grafter

Re: Long line, was fast but now slow

It isn't just rural that has problems, I'm right in the middle of Bristol and speeds are poor on standard copper. My suspension is that they are holding customers to ransom to change to more expensive fibre.  My upload speed is 0.35 Mbps now, it used to be 0.65 to 0.70 Mbps for years. OK, download is reasonable at 15.12 Mbps but not really good.

hantshog

I can only dream of 2Mbps let alone 15Mbps. I now do not believe BT will ever provide effective and stable broadband over fixed land lines in remote rural areas of which there are money people affected as their view is there is no financial gain for them.

Charles101
Grafter

I suspect you are right, but I can see the problem of expensive wiring needed for limited return. Really needs a different solution like some of the less expensive high speed wireless ones. Then government comes in and want to sell spectrum at very high prices.