Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logged Out/Disconnected?

Jamesw
Dabbler

Logged Out/Disconnected?

Hi there,
Iv'e had some really useful help at this forum in the past, so thought I'd see if any of you know the answer to this one.
Every so often, normally when I am not at home - ie the line is probably idle, my broadband line seems to get disconnected, almost as if I have been logged off by an idle timeout.
When this happens and I go to my router (BT Voyager 2100) homepage and it shows the login screen and says "Ready to Connect". Clicking connect then gets everything running again.
In the router settings I have set "always connected" rather than dial on demand etc. and as far as I can tell I have the Plusnet timeout setting (in account connection settings) set to OFF (its a bit hard to tell this as the page has a double negative with an "timeout opt out" section header and an "enabled" button - is this enabling an opt-out, or enabling a timeout?).
The reason I need it fixed is that I frequently remotely log into my home pc when travelling, and nine times out of ten can't because the line has dropped - prompting tricky calls home to the wife to get her to do a 192.168.1.1 etc.
Any ideas what is going on here?
Thanks in advance.
James
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Logged Out/Disconnected?

Doesn't he have to be a BB+ user to have the timeout icon in Connection Settings?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Jamesw
Every so often, normally when I am not at home - ie the line is probably idle, my broadband line seems to get disconnected, almost as if I have been logged off by an idle timeout.

Very odd. I've just checked our RADIUS logs here and assuming I'm looking at the right account your connection seems rock solid! Huh
Have you been able to try any alternative kit at all?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Jamesw
Dabbler

Hi,
To answer the previous questions, Im on "BB your way pro".
Yes it's fine at the moment - the logout seems to happen about twice a month usually in the daytime when I am not using the connection. I did wonder about the router, as I had seen a slightly related post on another forum about the BT Voyager 2100. Just wanted to check that there was nothing set "at the plusnet end" that would be doing this, before I jumped to a new router.
James
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Jamesw
Yes it's fine at the moment - the logout seems to happen about twice a month usually in the daytime when I am not using the connection.

That seems consistent with the logs I checked.
Boy, I wish my connection was that stable! Drop-outs roughly twice a day are about normal for me! Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DTEG
Rising Star

Our connection also suffers from this problem every couple of days: also BT Voyager 2100 "always on", also BB+, also with idle time-outs apparently disabled at PN's end. Can happen any time, even mid-transfer.
No evidence that the line itself goes down. Happened just a few minutes ago, but line-up time reported as 6 days or more, so it appears only that the PlusNet login is being dumped somehow.
paulby
Grafter

I've just replaced my Uncle's Voyager with a Netgear as he was having similar problems (if the line dropped for any reason the router would not reconnect and you'd have to log in and click "Connect").
On examining the router manual, the Voyager's "always on" doesn't seem to do what most other routers do.  The definition under "always on" is that it will send pings to stop the ISP dropping the connection.
In the Netgear "always on", i.e. an idle timeout of 0, will result in the router automatically signing back into the ISP if the line drops. 
Since swapping the router I haven't had any phonecalls asking "How do I get the internet working?" for the past couple of months (he used to phone about twice a week!!).
DTEG
Rising Star

Interesting, and unusual as you say.
Mind you, the manual also says of the "Dial on demand" option:
"When the router is disconnected, if any client PC sends out a request for connection to the Internet, the ADSL Router will dial the ISP automatically"
yet doesn't necessarily, even if the line is up.
But what is most odd is that our router was fine for ages; this is only a relatively recent issue. It could be one of the BT firmware upgrades, I guess.