Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loaded Latency on Hub One Wifi

briancoat
Hooked

Loaded Latency on Hub One Wifi

Howdy all.

I've previously used Plusnet on a slow FTTC line (10/2) on my own router in the countryside.

I recently moved to town and got 40/10 sync speed. I also got a shiny new Hub One Modem+Router

I thought this would be great but it is actually slower than the old hillbilly set up due to massive latency (up to 1 sec).

This is over wifi : ethernet connection to router is fine.

The wifi is right next to the device (PC or Phone all the same even if they are the only connected device)

Tried 2.4 and 5 Ghz

Any ideas?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Loaded Latency on Hub One Wifi

Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing latency issues.

As you've confirmed that this works fine via ethernet, I can only point you towards the remainder of the wifi troubleshooting here

Unfortunately, latency via wifi isn't something we can control and you may fare better sticking to ethernet or exploring similar avenues like power line adaptors etc where a constant physical connection is more conducive to lower latency.

Best wishes,

Dave

briancoat
Hooked

Re: Loaded Latency on Hub One Wifi

I have to say that this reply was not so good, in my opinion. Especially the part where it was stated that ...

“latency via wifi isn't something we can control and you may fare better sticking to ethernet“ ... from the router supplier, Plusnet!!

I decided to investigate this myself. Being a mechanical engineer, this has taken me a while!!

1) Plus One hub does not use modern traffic routing algorithms (cake, fq_codel, ...) so it is more prone to buffer bloat. I will probably switch routers to allow me to run some branch of OpenWRT.

2) Local WiFi and interference are not factors. Tested by me using open source softwares now all channels.

3) Plusnet router does not have 5 GHz enabled as delivered. This improves speed and loaded latency.

4) There are infrequent loaded latency spikes using Ethernet and WiFi and BTW tests, which I guess may be cabinet related. All ports appear to be in use? I may have to live with this residual latency.

The correct advice might have been “Try 5Ghz, it’s off”.