Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little peak time latency humps

SuperZoom
Grafter

Re: Little peak time latency humps

Quote from: dave
if we can help minimise any impact of that traffic on their streaming or browsing then all the better.

Absolutely.
Quite dramatic, isn't it?
Amos91
Dabbler

So what's the next step then?
Doesn't seemed to have fixed the issue and I don't think a flat ping graph is too much to ask.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Eh?  it has pretty much fixed the issue?  (we're just experimenting before committing to the change?)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
AndyH
Grafter

Took me literally all day to get on PCL-AG02 after BT's maintenance kicked me off yest   Shocked

The general ping spikes are an Asus bug....seems to just affect their routers, no idea why. Tried every setting but to no avail.
mikehiow
Grafter

The explanation from dave is very interesting, but it's got me thinking.
What exactly are the priorities when the Pro package is added?
Kelly
Hero

Pro puts everything into Gold except for gaming, voip, vpn into Titanium.
Kelly Dorset
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got me thinking too, as I'm not entirely convinced about putting ICMP into 'titanium', and I wonder whether the TBB graphs would reveal more interesting and useful results, if ICMP priority was 'bronze'.
I can see the point of view that says 'titanium' pings show what the line is capable of, will give relatively clean graphs, and artificially produce good looking statistical results.
However 'bronze' pings, would show 'you should get better than this' graph, which will be much more 'noisy', and the minimum latency will drift up and down depending on time of day and line loading.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

I should be able to set it up and see what it does on a test config. Not sure I'd want to put it anywhere other than titanium on the normal profiles because some things use ICMP to determine the latency and high pings could cause problems. I'll have a look next week after we've done testing next week.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
mikehiow
Grafter

Dave,
Does the traffic shaping or something on your network add any significant latency?
I only ask as I have neighbours on different FTTC ISPs (One TalkTalk and one AA) and they both get around 7ms to say bbc.co.uk, whereas I seem to get around 11ms.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=dave]some things use ICMP to determine the latency and high pings could cause problems
Surely those applications (such as games) that are clever enough to require a latency calculation to provide the best interactive experience, then giving them a slightly worse 'bronze' ping delay would mean that because the actual application traffic is most likely to be of higher priority (e.g. 'gold' or 'titanium'), then the actual user experience should actually be better as the calculated latency will be based on worst case, rather than fastest achievable latency for the users connection.
Amos91
Dabbler

Quote from: Kelly
Eh?  it has pretty much fixed the issue?  (we're just experimenting before committing to the change?)

But pings are still fluctuating at peak time?
Surely you either have fluctuating pings or traffic management. Not both...
Take my Bethere line for the last 6 years with no traffic management:

If there was no time axis you'd never know when peak time was.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Should be less than 1ms across our network by the looks of it, this is the ping to the BBC from PCL-AG01:
PCL-AG01#ping bbc.co.uk
Resolving "bbc.co.uk" ...
Sending 5 ICMP echoes to 212.58.251.195, timeout = 2 sec.
!!!!!    
Success rate = 100% (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/1 ms
PCL-AG01#
I think it rounds to the nearest ms.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

[What priority are ICMPv6 packets on? I see a marked difference in IPv4 compared to IPv6 ping graphs.] Scratch that, all IPv6 tunnel traffic goes through as IPv4 packets when concerning PN. So, modifying my question, what is the classification with IPv6-in-4 packets?
That's RPM to you!!
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: Amos91
Quote from: Kelly
Eh?  it has pretty much fixed the issue?  (we're just experimenting before committing to the change?)

But pings are still fluctuating at peak time?
Surely you either have fluctuating pings or traffic management. Not both...
Take my Bethere line for the last 6 years with no traffic management:

If there was no time axis you'd never know when peak time was.

The change was only on 2 gateways, and was backed out this morning.
Kelly Dorset
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'dave' -
So what was the difference between this weeks fixes on PCL-AG01 and PCL-AG02 ?
I ask as my connection was never heavily loaded during peak time this week, and the PCL-AG01 'fix' didn't do anything to my poor TBB graph on Monday, but the PCL-AG02 'fix' flattened the blue average latency 'hump' on my plots on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Interestingly now that you have removed the 'fix' on PCL-AG02, my peak time 'hump' has returned, today Thursday.