cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line type ADSL2 or ADSLMax?

donne
Grafter

Line type ADSL2 or ADSLMax?

While still on the search for a replacement modem router, I note that some user reviews of, for example, the Netgear3700 indicate that it works fine for ADSL2 but drops connection on the older ADSL Max lines.  My question is, how do I find out what type of line Plusnet has provided me with?  Plusnet FAQs just say ADSL2+ will be supplied "if it's available and if your line can support it" - otherwise you get ADSL Broadband, whatever that is.
9 REPLIES 9
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Line type ADSL2 or ADSLMax?

Hi donne,
If you visit: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and type in your telephone number or postcode, you should be presented with details which technology is availably at your Local Exchange. If you're unsure what the technologies are, let us know what Sam Knows says and I'd happily elaborate on it for you Smiley
thesawdust
Grafter

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
That will show you if you have it enabled  Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: donne
for example, the Netgear3700 indicate that it works fine for ADSL2 but drops connection on the older ADSL Max lines.

I'm not sure I'd trust those reviews - it could easily be because there some issues with particular makes of 20CN ADSL1 equipment in some exchanges.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
machare
Rising Star

Quote from: thesawdust
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html
That will show you if you have it enabled  Grin
It shows me what is available. My router tells me what I am using.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My router tells me the DSLAM chipset manufacturer used at my exchange !
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < TI >

TI = Texas Instruments
Cheesy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Does the provision of ADSL1 over 21CN have any bearing on the OP's question?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It might do if the exchange has 21CN. If donne could tell us what https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html says (or give us the exchange name) we could then advise further.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Quote from: donne
While still on the search for a replacement modem router, I note that some user reviews of, for example, the Netgear3700 indicate that it works fine for ADSL2 but drops connection on the older ADSL Max lines.  My question is, how do I find out what type of line Plusnet has provided me with?  Plusnet FAQs just say ADSL2+ will be supplied "if it's available and if your line can support it" - otherwise you get ADSL Broadband, whatever that is.

I can confirm that you're connected on ADSL2+.
donne
Grafter

Thanks for the replies and Chris's confirmation that I'm connected on ADSL2+.  I visited the link provided by other replies and found that all products are available on my exchange, including ADSL2+ and ADSLMax - however my reading of the FAQs was that the connection type selected by Plusnet would be tailored to the data rate which the line could support.  Thanks for all our help.