cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line trained but stuck at 12dB SNRM, what do I do now?

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Line trained but stuck at 12dB SNRM, what do I do now?

You should be able to add info via https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search
clanla
Grafter

@Chris, I did put all the details in the Additional Info box at the end (or whatever it is called), but it is still not appropriate for the wizard to just assume that the dropouts are the problem.  Apart from anything else it is frustrating for the user trying to report the fact that the broadband is going slow to have the wizard insist on answers to questions that he knows are irrelevant, and then having got to the end never having been asked what fault he is trying to report.  The last thing you want is a frustrated user when he already has an issue of some sort.
If there had not been dropouts would it have asked different questions?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This sort of issue has come up before, where the checker wrongly assigns an incorrect fault type. The trick may be to give the "appropriate" answers to the questions, but that shouldn't really be necessary.
When you did the modem/router and filter swaps did you use the disconnect method and stay off for at least 10 minutes?
Edit: What MW frequencies did you try? Try 531kHz, 549kHz, 585kHz, & 594kHz.
clanla
Grafter

@Anotherone you are a genius.  I have tried again with the radio and when tuned to around 530kHz I get a solid click every 1.4 seconds with the radio near the phone cable.  I have switched everything off except the router and confirmed it is still there.  All that remains is to switch the router off also but I can't do that at the moment as PN are running tests on the line and have said to leave it switched on.
I am just off to see if I can pick it up outside.  The neighbours may think me a bit odd walking up the road waving a radio about but I suspect they think I am a bit odd anyway.
clanla
Grafter

In my house I have to hold the radio near the phone wire to pick up the click, but 200 yards up the road it is much stronger even out in the street, and drops off if I go further away, so it seems to be emanating from something up there.  I will add a comment to the fault report.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Thanks for that, should really help - regarding the fault though it looks like it's been picked up as a phone fault so I'd hope the automated tests have picked something up there. We're happy to progress it how you wish though, just let us know Smiley
clanla
Grafter

Hi Matt
I am not sure what you mean by progressing as I wish, is there a choice?
I have not had a reply to the fault report yet, should I have?  Or is it just working its way through the system?
Thanks for the help
Colin
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, I meant as a phone fault (if the noise on the line is apparent, which I suspect it is even if not audible or our system wouldn't have picked it up as a phone issue) or as a broadband fault, depending on how you'd rather it be investigated Smiley
clanla
Grafter

Matt, I can't hear anything on the quiet line test.  What would you recommend?
Anotherone
Champion

I'd go with the phone fault for the time being. If there is some issue with the line, an insulation problem or a balance problem causing noise pick up, it's more likely to get fixed, whereas if as a broadband fault the likelyhood is it will be treated as - well it's stable with a higher Target SNRM and performing within expected limits until such time as it can be progressed as a REIN issue. As I'm sure you are aware, especially with a long line, it needs to be as near perfect as possible for good broadband.
In any event, you can always pursue it as a broadband fault later if nothing gets resolved as a phone fault!
Glad, you've managed to pick up something on the radio, let's hope you can pin it down.
clanla
Grafter

@Matt, Antotherone's advise sounds good to me, lets go with the phone fault.
clanla
Grafter

I have just had a response on the ticket saying that they have not found any fault with the line and are forwarding the fault to the broadband team.
Anotherone
Champion

Nice day for a walk with a radio set  Cheesy
clanla
Grafter

I hope someone does not decide that I just need a line reset.
clanla
Grafter

Well I have found the cause of the interference, it is a gal with an electric fence (as suggested by Anotherone) a couple of hundred yards up the road.  Anyone any idea what she can do about it?  I suppose it could be coupling direct from the fence into the phone line or going through the mains.