cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed stuck

Xellex

Line speed stuck

My PN line speed has been stuck at 0.5mbit for several weeks. I've been trailing some tests out with removing some of the phone cables going all around the house and my profile had synced at 2048kbit (about 3 days ago). It has re-synced tonight at 1920kbit and the line speed is still stuck. Any chance of having this kicked up? Cheers.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line speed stuck

What is the result of the BT speedtest - we need to find if it is a stuck IP profile - BT - or the Plusnet mirror
Xellex

From test1:
Download speed: 0.4mbit
Maximum download speed: 1.92mbit
IP Profile: -1.5mbit
I hadn't print screened it, I'll be back in an hour with a shot of the test
Xellex

Was at this for 9 hours:

and now i'm at
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You've obviously got a problem still that has caused a low sync event. Is everything that's plugged into the line connected via filters, eg.all phones, any fax machines, sky boxes etc?
Xellex

Yep, I've checked all the connections going to the master socket.
It's never been this low before, and I'm uncertain why so, because within the 9 hours it was at 1.5mbit, i was downloading game updates and it didn't seem as though there was any stuttering or unsuitability.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You'll need to do some more investigating, so from now on if you need to reboot/resync, swap anything about -
Use this Disconnect method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router,
connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  
Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
Also note, you can user the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
If you've got an NTE5 Master socket, you need to plug into the Test Socket so use the Disconnect method and do that. Removal of the Front Plate of the Master socket should disconnect all your other sockets which should now be dead. Please check with a corded phone. Do so whilst you are powered down with the modem/router.
As you've been sorting out your internal wiring perhaps you could explain what you have done. What you should have is just 2 wires connnected to the back of the Front Plate on the NTE5, a Blue/white trace on terminal 2 and a White/blue trace on terminal 5. This should be the same on all extension socket.
In any set up, do not use plug-in extension leads between the socket and filter or filter and modem/router (unless they are twisted-pair screened - these have to be bought specially).
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Xellex
I've just run a line test that shows a downstream sync speed of just under 1mb so I've adjusted your speed profile on our systems to match that.
I can see that you've achieved higher speeds in the past so I'd advise you to raise a fault too, that should tell you all the appropriate checks we'd need you to do before we could raise this with our suppliers:
https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team