cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed is not sync speed

jwhite
Grafter

Line speed is not sync speed

Just when you thought you'd understood something...
Can someone clarify the difference between sync speed and the "current line speed" as reported by the User Portal?
My "current line speed" is shown on the portal as "6000".  This seems consistent with past speed test results of around 5500 (kbps).  However, my router reports "downstream data rate" currently at 7360.  The portal page says the 6000 figure "is based on your sync speed", but doesn't say how. 
The FAQ pages talk about "Sync Speed (Line Rate)" and "Throughput Speed (Data Rate)", which I would read as the 7360 and 5500 figures, but the tables  imply the difference should be less.  I can see no definition of "current line speed". 
2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line speed is not sync speed

The synch speed is the speed with which your router connects to the internet.
The current line speed is a copy of the IPprofile which is set be the automatic systems at the exchange.
The IPprofile is banded and depends on the lowest sync speed in the previous 3 days (approx)
Have a read here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm
jwhite
Grafter

Re: Line speed is not sync speed

OK, thanks.  I suspected it might be the Profile, but the BT Speedtester no longer works on my line so I couldn't check.  The kitz calculator explains it perfectly.