cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed at 250.....3 day wait for catch up?

anytbut
Grafter

Line speed at 250.....3 day wait for catch up?

Well,due to having a fault on my bt line (took two engineer visits to finally fix it) my line speeds now stuck at 250 in my pannel,usually when everythings fine in the past before the fault i`m on a 4000 profile.
Noise margin is sitting sitting at 15db stable (normally 6db) currently and synced at 2752 (usually about the 4700 mark).
I take it i`m just in for a sit and wait game for everything to settle down? Just that `im getting dial up flashbacks everytime i open a webpage  Grin
44 REPLIES 44
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Line speed at 250.....3 day wait for catch up?

The IP Profile shown by the BT speed tester should recover more quickly than three days for such a big change - the Plusnet speed should follow that within a few hours.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
anytbut
Grafter

BT speedtest done a short while ago...

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I can't get your screen shot - but in any case you don't need to upload it to imageshack! If you open the Additional Options you will find you can attach your image directly to your post.
anytbut
Grafter

Ah,missed that,now uploaded correctly. Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Your IP Profile being so low and your current sync being way below normal points to something wrong either internally or with your line.
a) Have you made any changes internally to the equipment connected to your phone line (moved anything around, new equipment e.g. a Sky box)?
b) When you use your phone is there any background noise on the line? The best way to test this is to dial 17070 and use option 2 - you should hear nothing.
If the answer to both the above is no you need to plus your router in to the test socket inside the master socket
and see what that does to your current sync speed.
Can you post back with the sync speed, attenuation and noise margin figures please.
anytbut
Grafter

Well,i did say in my 1st post i`ve had a line fault fixed friday (was a short in the local cab,sometimes causing a dead line/seroius static).
Here`s my current stats anyway.....just going to plug in the test socket,currently in a filtered faceplate.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If the test socket figures are similar it proves it's just down to BT's stupid systems. The default noise margin being up at 15 would explain you lower sync speed - it may take a few weeks for that to recover. I'd suggest resyncing just once a day during the day time to try to encourage that.
If your fault was fixed on Friday it's taking your IP Profile an awfully long time to recover!
anytbut
Grafter

Now in the test socket with a basic filter....
Would leaving the router off for 30 minutes/overnight maybe help things?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had an outage earlier this year, never explained, but my through put dropped drastically, I had to play the sit and wait for about 2 days 23 hours with a Synch of 8128 and a speed of 500 kb before it went straight up to 7150 profile 6500 download. Its not an exact science when dealing with BT
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Comparing the normal to the test socket everything looks fine on your side.
As I said before, the best thing to do is to leave it on all the time and disconnect/reconnect just once a day during the daytime. Off for two or three minutes will be all that is needed.
BT would have us believe that if there is a significant change the IP Profile should recover quicker, but as Peter illustrated it doesn't always work like that and it could be up to 3 days. If 72 hours after your fault was fixed your speed has not gone back up you will need to ring in to say you think your profile is stuck - but whether that gets you anywhere will depend on you getting a good support agent.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi anything but,
Please post back if you don't see any improvement to the speeds and we'll take a look at it for you.
anytbut
Grafter

Had the router on,no d/cs as far as i can see from routerstats,just done a bt speedtest 10 mins ago after work.
ip profile showing as 2500kbps (2880 sync) but dl rate 198kbps.
Would this need just a disconnection or a reboot of the router to get the speed to match up with the current profile?

........just reset the router,no change,but i think this is due to my current line speed still showing as this.

Telephone number:
Phone exchange:
    SHORNE
Estimated line speed:
    4.0 - Checked on 2009-02-10 21:08:16
Current line speed:
sumitgood
Grafter

One word of advice: don't reset router, don't disconnect unless plus.net tell you to, I've reset my router 4 times in a row once just because I was frustrated and you know what  I got back from the customer service "your line dropped 4 times in a row just a while ago" imagine how annoying it is to be told that BT has detected it dropped 4 times when you reset your ROUTER 4 times.
and Drops result in  lower speed  IP profiles.
Solution to your problem: tell plus.net your ip profile is now at your maximum sync speed and you require the 250 profile lifted from plus.net to your sync speed.
anytbut
Grafter

Still at a 2000kbps profile and 15db noise margin,things look good in routerstats,no dips or dropouts,so it`s just a waiting game now.