Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line reset

CodeBusters
Grafter

Line reset

Hi there,

Had a fault on my line from Saturday. The engineer came this morning and identified an external fault away from property and between junction box and exchange. He has swapped my service onto another line which has cured the noise problem.

Prior to the fault I had this:

ScreenShot00175.jpg

During the fault I had this:

ScreenShot00176.jpg

And now, after the engineers visit I get this:

ScreenShot00180.jpg

As you can see the Max Achievable Speed has now gone down to 4Mbps.

Also can you make sure that interleaving does not get turned on.

With the downstream SNR level now sitting at a steady 3.7db I would expect a sync. speed of 6800-6900kbps.

My fault ticket is on hold until 2pm today. Will the line be reset then or can you do it now?

13 REPLIES 13
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Line reset

Hi CodeBusters,

I've just submitted the reset for you.

Interleaving hasn't been applied by the way, the reset can take up to 24 hours but usually goes through in just a few.

Hope that shows some improvement soon.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
CodeBusters
Grafter

Adam, I see on the ticket that you requested a SNR reset.

My connection speed at the moment is 3168 kbps which is well under half of what I usually have at 6819 kbps.

Will the connection speed come back to normal or do I have to phone CS and be told it is within spec. when obviously it isn't.

Can you check my profile to see if everything is OK?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

In all honesty you are connecting within the 4mbps downstream estimate for your line.

I can try submitting another reset as the profile on our side is in line with the data I'm seeing from line diagnostics, I'll give that a go now.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
CodeBusters
Grafter

Look at my first post.

The BTW test shows a line capable of connecting up to 7.15Mbps

@adamwalker wrote:

In all honesty you are connecting within the 4mbps downstream estimate for your line.

This is a major problem as I now have buffering occurring on videos

After having a line fault repaired I now have a line that will not support half of the original speed !!! AMAZING !!!

It's not an impressive feat is it. Your answer, sorry to say, is what we have come to expect from Plusnet.

Business users such as myself expect more, especially when we are faced with a £115+vat bill for engineers visits.

I will now ring CS. This should be fun...

Tags (1)
CodeBusters
Grafter

Helpful young lady on CS has hopefully reset my profile properly. We try a re-set on router and let you know.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm answering in all honesty without any desire to be unhelpful.

I'm unsure how the reset performed by the agent you spoke with could differ from the actions I took but I hope you see some improvement with that soon.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@CodeBusters wrote:

Look at my first post.

The BTW test shows a line capable of connecting up to 7.15Mbps

The BTW test is badly worded, it does not really give any indication of the actual maximum capability of your line. Whatever it reports as the maximum simply depends of whatever speed your line is currently connected at. It does not indicate if the speed your line is currently connected at is good or bad for your line length.

CodeBusters
Grafter

With a line capable of connecting at 7.15Mbps and a sync speed of 6819kbps (routerstats), simple maths of 88.2% (for ADSL2+) of the sync speed gives 6014.358 which was the 6.01Mbps IP profile shown on BTW.

My line after 4 engineer visits (2x SFI + 2x PSTN) within 11 days and 8hrs of work carried out, is as follows:

A line capable of 4Mbps (8Mbps at cabinet 500 metres away) and a current sync speed of 4047kbps. 88.2% gives 3569.454 or an IP profile of 3.56Mbps. Almost identical to the last result in the first post !!!

Having to explain to CS what has been done each and every time is very time consuming and not very professional.

Notes have only been added to open questions on rare occasions by CS.

My last contact with the Faults section was good, Adam Ibberson should be promoted, he listened and took notes, keep up the good work.

Where this goes now is anybodies guess ? Complaints ?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Could you give us your full DSL stats please? (line rate, attenuation, SNRM).

The estimated speed from the BT Broadband Availability checker gives an indication of what speed the line should be getting. As I said before, the "Max Achievable Speed" from the BT speedtester is meaningless.

CodeBusters
Grafter

@ejs wrote:

Could you give us your full DSL stats please? (line rate, attenuation, SNRM).

Here they are:

ScreenShot00200.jpg

And this:

ScreenShot00201.jpg

BTW Speedtest won't complete anymore either:

ScreenShot00199.jpg

Waiting on faults team getting back in touch. When this will happen is anyones guess.

Tags (2)
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The stats indicate it's not the kind of problem that can be solved by resetting it.

There isn't anything to guarantee that your line speed will never get any worse, nor that the line you were swapped onto won't perform worse than the old one did. But it's not really to be expected for it to be that much worse, so I guess there's still something for someone to fix somewhere on your line.

CodeBusters
Grafter

Re: Low speed sync

You would think so, especially as the fault threshold is 4556 kbps, I cant even sync. at that speed.

According to the engineers I am now on my 4th bit of line, 2 E-sides and 2 D-sides.
All internal wiirng and equipment checks out OK but I still get the standard script "Have you checked..blah blah blah.." everytime I ring CS, even for updates. Please CS read my notes if there are any.!!!

Meantime after 20 hrs. of appointment time I am no closer to a resolution. The last SFI booked for 8am-1pm turned up at 12.30pm, he finished what he was doing 3 hrs later at 3.30pm. Ruined my schedule for the day totally.

CodeBusters
Grafter

Re: Low speed sync

Got to talk to some staff today who actually looked through the fault notes etc. much appreciated. You know who you are. Keep up the good work.

The speed problem is still ongoing but there's a light at the end of the tunnel (hope it's not an oncoming train!).

And for good measure I got a really good deal done for 20/80 unlimited business fibre with anytime calls...