cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental necessary for BB?

greengrass
Grafter

Line rental necessary for BB?

Is it possible to use Broadband without line rental?

I was made redundant and need to economise.

If not is it possible to use a mobile phone with a data SIM card and connect it to my laptop?

18 REPLIES 18
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line rental necessary for BB?

only on FTTP which I assume you don't have so the answer is not via a landline

it should be possible to use the router for networking only

Regarding tethering - you can tether individual devices such as your laptop if your mobile phone contract allows it - I tethered my laptop to my O2 SIM with no problem but I have no idea whether you can tether all of the devices via the router

greengrass
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.

There is no FTTP here.

I am not sure what you mean by "using the router for networking only", I Googled it but could not find a definition.

I am still using a 2015 BT Homehub by the way, never did try the PN router.

How do you find the reliability and speed when tethering your laptop to your mobile SIM?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you have several devices connected to the router you should still be able to see them even with no network connection

Re speed and reliability -

Reliability I don't know as I just did a short test

Speed rotten but that may be down to 4G signal strength which in my case is pretty rotten or the USB speed connected
Why don't you try it - initiate tethering then select that as the source on the laptop (once tethering is initiated you will see that as the option) I don't know but I suspect that the laptop  connection to the router would need to be wireless not wired for this to work

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You could check out the option of moving your phone to a provider that has way cheaper line rental than Plusnet. You will have to pay Plusnet a bit more as they fine you for not having your line rental with them, but it may still result in a net saving.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
harrym1byt
Rising Star

@greengrass wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by "using the router for networking only", I Googled it but could not find a definition.

Using it for networking only, means that you can still use the router for internal network connections, but there would be no access for them, to the Internet. Internet covers and gives access to the rest of the world, your internal network or LAN only allows access to other of your internal devices.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Using a WiFi connected printer would be an example of internal network connections using a router.

greengrass
Grafter

Thank-you for the replies.

I use my laptop wirelessly, that is my only device I use.

I have checked a couple of different SIM only companies and the coverage in this village is poor.

I do have a 3 dongle from when I first moved here in 2015 and it does not pick up a signal at all.

Jelv, do you get your line rental from Pulse 8? I see they have line rental for £6 a month and unlimited BB for 19 a month so £25 total. I am not sure what PN are charging this year for line rental which I usually pay in advance, probably £18 a month and £10 for unlimited BB so £28 total.

How do you find iD mobile, I saw that £4 a month package and apparently they are a subsidiary of the Carphone Warehouse.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@greengrass wrote:

Jelv, do you get your line rental from Pulse 8? I see they have line rental for £6 a month and unlimited BB for 19 a month so £25 total. I am not sure what PN are charging this year for line rental which I usually pay in advance, probably £18 a month and £10 for unlimited BB so £28 total.

Yes I have been using Pulse8 line rental for over two years paying £13 per month (one year while still using Plusnet for broadband and now over a year since I moved to AAISP).

How do you find iD mobile, I saw that £4 a month package and apparently they are a subsidiary of the Carphone Warehouse.

I have two idMobile SIMS, one a contract paying £4 per month and the other a PAYG I occasionally use in dongle I originally got from Three when I need to use my laptop on the move and no WiFi is available. I really like them, I have had no issues whatsoever. Porting my number over was easy, their billing system is very clear and I like the way they do capping to prevent unexpected high bills. If the Three network which they use is good in your area I think it's a no-brainer to use them!

greengrass
Grafter

I have a 3 dongle but cannot get any signal at all here. 

When I go to the iD website and use their coverage checker it does say that I can only get an outdoor signal.

My neighbour is with Talktalk for BB and she gave me her password, I can get online with that but it is slow,

0.03mbps download 1.2 mbps upload.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

@greengrass wrote:

My neighbour is with Talktalk for BB and she gave me her password, I can get online with that but it is slow,

0.03mbps download 1.2 mbps upload.

I'm guessing that is connected via your neighbour's wifi? You might look at adding a better means for you to connect to your neighbours wifi. Maybe a wifi bridge, or if the equipment you are trying to connect from has an external antenna connection - a better antenna. Might she even allow you a wired LAN connection to her router, across to your side?

greengrass
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am connecting via wifi to my neighbours BB.

I live in a detached bungalow and my neighbour has superfast BB, I got her to do a speed test and she gets 17mbps download and 8mbps upload so I can only assume it is the distance that is preventing me get a decent speed, sometimes when I put the laptop on the window sill nearest to my neighbours property I can get speeds on 7mbps which is fantastic.

She is a good neighbour and knows finances are tight for me and is willing to help.

When you said about a wired LAN connection, do you mean I would need an Ethernet cable from my laptop to her router?

There is a driveway and some rooms to cross Smiley

I do not know what a wifi bridge is.

greengrass
Grafter

I have been doing some reading on Wifi bridging.

https://www.lifewire.com/wireless-bridging-explained-816563

I wonder if a Wifi extender would suit my purpose.

I can get broadband from my neighbours, but only 0.3 mbps unless I put it by the window when it can go up to

7 mbps.

She lives in the detached bungalow next door.

The Wifi extenders reviewed are shown in $ so I am not sure if these products are available in the UK.

Anyone tried them?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

A WiFi bridge is not likely to perform overly well, especially given what you've already said.  For a WiFi bridge to work well, there has to be already a decent wifi signal from the "base" station ... which you've just said is limited aside from near the window.

Consider also that the wifi has to double-send the data (your PC to the bridge - the bridge to the base station) thereby in effect at least halving the performance for everyone - including your neighbour.

If you consider all of the costs involved here - obtaining kit, service cease fees, early contract terminate fees - you might find it cheaper to remain 'in service' rather than seeking to terminate it ... by when hopefully you will have found a new job.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

greengrass
Grafter

There is a decent signal from the base station, my neighbour gets 12 ping, 17 mbps download and 8 mbps upload speed.

I was going to try a dual band Wifi extender which I understand will not effect the performance of my neighbours internet.

I will not be ceasing my service or terminating it, it runs out next month anyway.