Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line profile - confused? Moi???

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Line profile - confused? Moi???

Hi all...   could Jojo or someone please enlighten me a tad on this? Nice easy to read sequence of events follows..
1. Router regularly has synced at no less than 12Mbps, and it's been this way for months, if not years.
2. BT's allocated IP profile has been somewhere around 11.2Mbps in the past, which I think is about right for this sync speed.
3. PN profile has, in the past, usually matched the BT profile as it should.
4. Now then..  new BT line pair installed on 5th November because of an earth fault on the old line. New line is very quiet.
5. Router now syncs at about 13.5Mbps, with BT profile showing 11.9Mbps. (see attached).
6. But...  the PN profile now showing only 9Mbps on my PN profile page for some reason, and I think it should be about 11Mbps.
7. So, rang CS today to request that the PN profile is raised to match BT's. Line test done by CS and told that my line can "only support a max of 6Mbps" according to the test!! I'm on ADSL2+ by the way. Attached pic shows an official BT speed range of 4-21Mbps for my line.
8. CS agrees that the sync rate which is showing on my router is the same as showing in the line test, but that the max value that PN profile could possibly have is 8Mbps according to the test she has carried out.
This is wrong surely? If I've always synced at well over 12Mbps, the line is capable of it despite what the test result says. In the past, when there has been a discrepancy between the BT and PN profile it's just been a simple matter of giving the PN profile a kick. Now, CS has had to raise a fault (!!!???) to investigate further. What's changed?
5 REPLIES 5
nozzer
Hero

Re: Line profile - confused? Moi???

Ermm...  anyone??  Ticket no. is 48751625.  Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Line test done by CS and told that my line can "only support a max of 6Mbps"

Sorry for any confusion re that as I can see a line profile of 9mb at the moment so I'm left wondering where that figure came from.
8. CS agrees that the sync rate which is showing on my router is the same as showing in the line test, but that the max value that PN profile could possibly have is 8Mbps according to the test she has carried out.

Same again, it sounds like the agent may have been a bit confused. I'll try and find a record of the call and give them some feedback.
Updating our profile would make no difference at the moment, I'm going to submit an SNR reset to see if that makes any difference. let me know if nothing changes after a couple of hours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nozzer
Hero

Thanks Adam. The SNR reset has caused the SNR to rise from around 3dB (perfectly stable at that value) to 6dB, which I think is the nominal DLM start value, and the sync speed to drop from 13.5Mbps to about 12Mbps, but the line profile at the PN side is still showing 9Mbps. I expect the DLM will go through the process of reducing the SNRM again because the line is, at the moment, perfectly clean, so the sync speed should rise again.
I've attached a pic of the BT Speedtester just done showing all these values, and also the current Profile of 10515Mbps, BUT...  the PN Profile is still at 9Mbps so it's definitely not following the BT profile.
Why isn't it possible to just update the PN profile to match BT's? It used to be possible. Shouldn't they be the same at both ends of the backhaul?
EDIT: Just read your entry on the ticket Adam. If you look at the original pic of the BT Speedtest on this thread you will see that the BT profile was 11.9Mbps before the SNR reset. I think you have missed the fact that the PN Profile is stuck at 9Mbps and NOT the same as BTs, so there would be a benefit in resetting the PN profile.
I'll let the DLM do what it wants for 72 hours and then get back to you, so please don't make any more changes for the time being until then.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi nozzer,
I've moved our profile up to 10500 to match the BT profile. If the BT one goes up again then let me know and I can nudge ours up more.
Jojo Smiley
nozzer
Hero

Thanks Jojo...    Wink