cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line fault still not fixed after 3 months - is this normal for Plusnet?

FIXED
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Line fault still not fixed after 3 months - is this normal for Plusnet?

I've always found DSLstats more intuitive to use than RouterStats.

This is a list of compatible routers  .

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It's good to see the engineer carried out a full investigation, although disappointing that no fault was found again. While it's not uncommon for an engineer to physically monitor a line for an intermittent connection and turn up out of hours, this isn't something we can request. They should be able to assign the job to themselves for a follow up as far as I've seen.

I'm happy to keep an even closer eye on this and try to make sure we get your line tested as soon as you report there's a problem in the hope that the test detects a fault, although we wouldn't be able to get an engineer out the same day.

I think as the next step in the investigation I'd like to see your line moved onto a different port at the exchange, and as the engineer wasn't able to get a lift and shift authorised, I can ask BT to order a TPM(tie pair modification).

This is basically a lift and shift but something that BT can place an order for an engineer to carry out. As long as I can agree this with the BT adviser, this shouldn't need to be 'approved' once the order has been placed.

Based on how many engineers we've sent out I can't see this being a problem though. Before I go ahead, I just want to make sure you're happy with this because you may end up with a few days downtime while the work is carried out.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Flummoxed
Grafter

Thanks again, Anoush. Yes, please would you go ahead and arrange that if it is possible.

It sounds to me like that is just about the last bit of hardware on the line that has not been ruled out and I think a previous engineer alluded to this as something he was unable to do.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this might bring some real progress.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, I've just discussed this with a BT adviser and to order a TPM this has to go through their complex faults team. I've been advised the next step before this going down this path is to raise a task specifically for a lift and shift.

That's been done now and should be completed within the next 2 working days, I'll check back just after the bank holiday on the 2nd or 3rd as we'd likely not receive any updates before then and I'm also off NYE and NYD.

Fingers crossed this improves your connection.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@flumexed

The BTOR engineer has to seek permission from BT Wholesale for a shift and lift ... which they all too often refuse.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Townman From discussing this with BT just now, I believe if an engineer who goes out to a customer's property it's DCoE at Openreach who have to authorise the request. I'm advised that if a task is raised specifically to send an engineer to the exchange and carry out a lift and shift this should be completed no questions asked.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf 

May be the process has changed then?  Back in 2011 after months of issues and a multitude of engineers, I had two support engineers out (with loads of kit and stats history) who really wanted to do a L&S … they spent ages in the phone but (they said) BTw refused the request.  Such appeared similar to the report here - the engineer requested a L&S and it was refused.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Townman Are you sure it was Wholesale? As far as I’m aware engineers don’t contact them and it’d be DCoE they’d get in touch with. 

Although 2011 was well before my time and things have probably changed a lot since then. 

[edit]

Either way Wholesale advised me today that if they raise a task for a lift and shift this will be carried out, and failing that they can pass this to complex faults for a TPM.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looking into this more I’ll admit I was under the impression that a TPM was the same as a lift and shift but it looks like a lift and shift moves you to a different port on the same DSLAM rack whereas a tie pair modify moves you to different rack. 

At least we’ve got a next step now if a lift and shift doesn’t fix the problem but hopefully it does.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Flummoxed
Grafter

At 8.30 this morning the line was disconnected (including phone), which hopefully suggests that work was being carried out. It has been back on for the last half hour and so far the download throughput speed has been steady at around 6.2, which is great if it lasts.

I think it will be evident within a few days if this has worked. Happy New Year!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sounds promising! Thumbs_Up I can’t double check until the 2nd but fingers crossed it holds. 

P.S. Happy New Year Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf

Good news that your magic made this happen when and engineer attempting the same was refused.

The cynic in me is minded to believe that if the engineer request was fulfilled, BTOR would not be able to pass the additional cost on to the ISP. Given that the ISP makes a request for the same ... it becomes a chargeable activity.

A different DSLAM should mean a different SVLAN as well - let’s hope it not a hot one!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Let’s not celebrate too soon. Smiley Also it would’ve been a lift and shift not a tie pair modify, so it’d be a different port on the same DSLAM rack. 

We’ll see how things go over the next day or so

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Oooops - I missed the line stating that the TPM had become a L&S. Embarrassed

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Happy new year and what a good start to the year, I'm happy to see your speeds higher than before at around 7mbps. I've checked the fault report with our suppliers and an engineer did indeed go out to the exchange in the morning of 31/12.

We've read the engineer notes and they've said that they've found no fault with the port you're on with no reason to move you off to another port, but they did re-run the jumper from the broadband equipment to the bar pair.

Either way it looks like this has sorted the problem out for you, as your connection has been intermittent I'm going to check back in a few days time. Let me know how things go from your side.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet