cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line capped at 288kbps

MJJ68

Line capped at 288kbps

Had this for 3 weeks now and seem to be going round in circles. Told by PN to keep router on (as it always is) and after 72 hours speed will increase. Line was connected for at least 6 days prior to a BT Outreach engineer calling round yesterday, but line remained capped at 288. Engineer did full test of everything on arrival, showed me the readings and stated there was no issue with the connection, line quality or otherwise.
He stayed for 2½ hours where he moved the master socket from the garage into the house, replaced the master socket with a built in filter and checked all other connections. Did another series of tests and again insisted that there was no issue whatsoever with the line. He reported that another customer in the areas was having the same 288 problem yesterday and his next customer had reported this as well.
After fitting the new master socket (which he said wasn't necessary), he called BT to inquire about the capped rate and, while on the phone to them, his meter reading jumped to 11Mbps.
After confirming this should hopefully be resolved, he checked the router again (one of three I've used) and noticed the downstream rate jumped up to just over 14000 from the 288 it had been reading before. He asked me to perform a speed test, which still read 0.13Mbps, but insisted I should notice higher speeds, ultimately near 9Mbps within a couple of hours.
Three hours later, however, the router's downstream rate had returned to 288kbps from the 14500 it had been reading earlier. I took the engineer's advice and called PN, who said my line had dropouts between 8am and 10.30am (naturally! this is when the engineer was here!) and insisted I wait 72 hours for the rate to increase... etc, etc. I'd already gone 6 days beforehand without any dropouts and my line speed hadn't increased. After an engineer confirming there wasn't anything wrong with my line and equipment, why should it now be resolved after another 3 days? The engineer himself suspected something outwith my control.  I'd been told by the engineer that BT had been working on the local exchange to install the 21CN super fast broadband, and he suspected this was causing a problem with customers. What I do know is that everything at my side is working perfectly fine. Line is excellent, router(s) working as expected, no noise issues, all copper wire, capacity and loop testing showed perfect results, but still no-one at PN can tell me what happens now.
Where can I go from here?
Hope someone can help.
Regards
Mike
7 REPLIES 7
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Line capped at 288kbps

Hi Mike,
Can you post your Router Stats please? If your unsure how to get them have a read here...
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
MJJ68

Hi Steve
Thanks for the response. Stats from my D-Link DSL-2740R are:
Mode: ADSL2 PLUS
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 288 kbps 440 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 18.6 23.7
Attenuation (dB): 33.0 15.3
Output Power (dBm): 0.0 12.3

Super Frames: 6481017 6481025
RS Correctable Errors: 1404 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 65472

HEC Errors: 0 0
Total Cells: 21442 26074
Data Cells: 6622435 1140186
Bit Errors: 0 0
This is now my third router in six months.  It's also now connected directly to the master socket which has an internal ADSL filter. The router was first set up in January this year and had no dropouts for weeks until early March when BT upgraded their local exchange. Again, according to the BT Outreach engineer, line and equipment are fine. He was concerned three other people in the surrounding area were all reporting the same issue.
Regards
Mike

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I reckon the BT systems probably have you on a 160-288kbps banded profile. The DLM should remove that itself - in time - but help from Plusnet to speed up removal seems appropriate since a fault has been fixed. Evidence of a stable connection over the weekend should be available.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The fault ticket is stating that the engineer found an internal wiring fault that was rectified today, and the connection should stabilise from here on - if the profile doesn't update during the next couple of days please let us know and if the errors have reduced we'll get that reset for you.
If the fault's not fixed likewise please let us know and we'll refer it back for more investigation.
MJJ68

Hi Matt
Thanks for getting back to me. Had a message left on my phone from Chris at PlusNet to report an "internal wiring" issue. I have to point out that there was *no fault* found with the internal wiring at all.  The engineer ran full tests, as soon as he arrived, in the router's phone point and then in the master socket which was located out in the garage. Everything showed up clear and error free. I pointed out that the master socket being in the garage prevented me plugging in my router for PlusNet diagnostic tests, as there was no mains power point anywhere near it!  He then chose to move the master socket into the house, near the router, and fitted one of the new ADSL filter plates to it, thereby eliminating the need for me to use filters on all the phone points. Once again, he tested everything and found all his results to be excellent, as they were before.
As noted in my first post, he felt that my problems were being caused by BT's upgrade work at the local exchange after I was one of three customers to report the same issue in the area. So, as stated, there was no internal wiring fault - the engineer opted to move my master socket inside the house to allow my router to plugged in directly.
What I couldn't understand is why the router's profile jumped up to 14500kbps while he was on the phone to his BT colleagues, yet three hours later it returned to 288kbps. I have now been informed that an SNR reset was ordered today and should be activated within 24 hours. Thereafter, I'll need to wait for 8 days before my line (hopefully) hits its optimum speed.
I only hope that if the problem continues, it is indeed related to the BT 21CN work.
In the meantime, thank you to those who offered their help. I'll report back in 8 days time if I still have an issue!
Regards
Mike
DominicM
Grafter

my line also is capped at 288k on a 4000k profile maybe its a wider issue
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DominicM,
It's not an issue at all, what it is is a banded profile, which basically means that when a line is performing badly the sync rate will get restricted, the lowest one being 160k-288k so it just means that your connection is syncing at the highest that it can right now. Have you raised a fault?
Jojo Smiley