cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line banded question

puddy
Grafter

Line banded question

I wanted to know are up to 8mg line's banded as well?
I have been helping my next door neighbour to try and get to download files at a round the same speed I get (6.2mg) We are both  Plusnet customers
The previous owner really messed up the phone wiring. I have re-done all is phone wiring and fitted new BT box's for all the extensions he got up to the master socket and fitted a new Speedtouch router plus I removed the orange wire and fitted a BT-i plate
His line speed has improved 3.5mg- 4.2mg but still not to the levels I get for downloading. (Snr margin 15)
Plugging in to the master socket makes no difference all filters have been placed where needed
I don’t know what else to suggest our BT exchange is across the road for us both so he should be able to download quicker could this be down to the line being banded?

Puddy
9 REPLIES 9
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Line banded question

Quote from: puddy
His line speed has improved 3.5mg- 4.2mg but still not to the levels I get for downloading. (Snr margin 15)

I take it your neighbour has a SNR margin of 15 but yours is better (i.e. less)?  In which case it's hardly surprising he doesn't get the line speed you do.  The solution is to wait patiently for a long long time, or ask Plusnet to set the line to retrain.
puddy
Grafter

We both have the same setup and our routers stats are spot on both with snr 15 each we both sync at 8128
He has not re-booted his router for over  2 months yet he constantly get a lower download speed
I had been hoping his download speed will pick up but its not.
The only thing I could think is has his line been banded?
Puddy
we are both on a very short line direct to the exchange across the road and we both use a speedtouch 716wl routers and are on the same plusnet package
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

We both have the same setup and our routers stats are spot on both with snr 15 each we both sync at 8128

It can't be banded then, banding affects the maximum synch speed.
Is he wireless ? that could have a big effect on throughput, especially if there are other networks in the vicinity.
Try a wired connection and/or try changing the wireless channel

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

puddy
Grafter

@misterw
Do you think the problem could be caused by the amount of devices he has plugged in ?  My setup is different because I have 2 phone lines and my broadband and fax are on one line but all other equipment like sky boxes and phones are on the other
I am think about the rein number there are at least 6 to 7 devices on 1 phone line for him
I have tried at least 3 different Speedtouch routers
he does have wireless for his main connection but so do I and I have made sure we don’t cause interference and other wireless signal don’t interfere with his by choosing a free channel.
Could choosing a new router with n signal would help?
Puddy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If he's synching at 8128k then its not a line problem, its a throughput problem ( unless of course the line is dropping and the IP Profile is low ).
What does a BT Speedtest report for the IP Profile ?
Can you check the throughput with a wired connection ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi puddy,
Only ADSL2+ lines can be banded, and as suggested the fact that it's syncing at the highest rate would not indicate a line fault. It sounds more like a local issue to me. The fact that your line is ok does not suggest any sort of contention. Have a look here for some tips.
Jojo Smiley
puddy
Grafter

@ Jojo

I did put in this thread that I have re-wired  replaced all BT sockets with new filtered cut the orange wires and fitted a BT-i plate I tried 4 differant routers in the past (2 netgears 3 speedtouch 716wl)
still have the same problem, I am waiting for his stats
Thats why I asked  could it be a ren problem/issue?
at least the banded question and answers rule out that problem.
Plusnet alway          ent

puddy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Puddy,
Considering you mentioned that he has a lot of devices it could well be. REN shouldn't exceed 4.0 so he should check the value of each item he has installed as most phones are 1.0 but other devices (including some portable phones) can be more.
Jojo Smiley
itsme
Grafter

REN = ringer equivalence number
Exceeding the REN will not affect broadband as when the phones are on-hook they are effectively discontented from the A/B pair. The REN is a measure of the driving power of the ringing signal from the exchange. If you exceed the REN then the phones ringing is affected, either by a reduced or no audible ringing.
@puddy
Have you tried with hard wire connection to the modem/router and with a different PC?