cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line attenuation changing and upstream speed of 75 kbps

thrillville
Grafter

Line attenuation changing and upstream speed of 75 kbps

Everytime I get disconnected my router synchs back up at ridiculously low speeds e.g., 75 / 2,222 instead of the normal 440 / 4500. The low upstream speed makes some actitivties impossible and the only way it returns back to normal is when there is is another disconnection.
When the router is synched at this low speed, an incoming call causes a disconnection and then the router synchs back up at the normal speed. So if I am around I call on my mobile. However, then this means that every disconnection becomes two disconenctions and BT lowers my speed. Note that incomming calls do not cause disonnections when synched at normal speeds.
This has always been a problem on my line since I moved into the house October 2010. But is happening very frequently at the moment, probably about 80% of the disconnections are resynching at the low speed.
I live in a newbuild house and have an external NTE so do not have access to a test socket. I have had 3 BT engineers around and none have found a problem, as well as the builders who have tested the internal wiring. I have used two different Thomson TG585 v7 routers and I get this problem with both of them. No Sky. Xbox or burglar alarms connected to the line. I have even used different phones.
The disconnections happen at varying times. This problem is driving me mad. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?
This is from my router log. Note the different speeds and the different line attenuation! Something is obviously very wrong.

Sep 21 08:46:36 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.3; downstream: 2222 kbit/s, upstream: 75 kbit/s; output Power Down: 18.0 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 67.5 dB, Up: 41.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.0 dB, Up: 6.5 dB)

Sep 21 08:44:54 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.3; downstream: 4555 kbit/s, upstream: 440 kbit/s; output Power Down: 18.0 dBm, Up: 12.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 54.5 dB, Up: 35.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.5 dB, Up: 16.5 dB)
5 REPLIES 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Line attenuation changing and upstream speed of 75 kbps

Hi thrillville,
Are you using any extension cables? I've just ran diagnostics and it's currently not showing as a fault. I can see some disconnections on the line. Have you tried changing filters?
Jojo Smiley
thrillville
Grafter

Hi, thanks for looking into this. When the line is synched at the correct speed there isn't any faults, hence why the BT engineers don't find anything wrong. However, one of your staff did do a test when the line attenuation was wrong, you can see that in here Question #42623586.
I have tried various filters, the BT engineer even tested the connection through one of them and it was ok.
What do you mean by extensions. According to the BT engineer, all sockets in the house are extensions from the external NTE, but he has tested them anyway and they were ok, and all 3 have filters in them.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Aside from raising a fault again I'm at a loss at what to suggest, as you've been quite extensive in your testing. Let me know when you've raised it and I'll have a word with one of our top faults guys and explain your situation to see how we could best approach it. Smiley
thrillville
Grafter

ok thanks. Is there any chance I can have the upload cap removed from my connection so that when this happens at least we can still use the internet as things like skype and messenger dont run at all. I am not always around the reconnect it and other people in the house don't know how to.
Trevor
Grafter

It has been suggested in other threads that a dodgy (possibly loose or corroded) connection in a line can sometimes be temporarily improved by the burst of current delivered by the ringing signal, hence the incoming call triggering a speed increase. If this is what is happening then the difficulty will be getting the engineer to visit when the line is in a poor state. Unfortunately, if he calls you to say he is on the way, he will probably clear the fault. . .
Good luck,
Trevor