cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Speed

Enkel
Grafter

Line Speed

In common with many PlusNet customers I seem to be having speed troubles recently.  I looked at the "sticky" at the top of the forum and visited the BT test site.  Is it just rubbish or what?  It took details like my number and my PlusNet login and then went away for minutes on end.  Eventually one of the result sheets told me my configured line speed is 250K.  No other information was forthcoming.  250K, I ask you!  I've been cheerfully running at 1.5Mb for the last year or so, so what's up?
Instructions for getting back to normal gratefully received.
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Line Speed

That message is given and displayed for the duration of the throughput test - progress shown on the strips at the top of the page. The value is your IP Profile.
Having a 250kbps IP Profile implies your router must recently have synced at 288-384kbps to achieve the target noise margin. If your sync speed is now back to normal, and the higher value is sustained, your profile will increase automatically to suit in 3 to 5 days.
David
James
Grafter

Hi there,
link:speed
Basically, as has been suggested, your router connected at a slower rate to how it has been, causing your connection profile to be reduced by BT.  Now that your router has reconnected at a faster speed, your profile should increase again in the next day or so.
In common with many PlusNet customers I seem to be having speed troubles recently.
If that were the case, it would be a lot easier to fix Smiley  Speed is an industry wide issue currently.
Enkel
Grafter

I'm sorry, James, I didn't mean to imply that only P-Net customers are experiencing slow speeds.  I'm just a normal, satisfied customer and don't bother perusing other suppliers forums which may, for all I know, be buzzing with the same problems.  No, I just came to this one and noticed that there were a spate of comments about line speed.  as a matter of interest I am now synching at 2112 and your line test says my speed has gone up to 500 or thereabouts.  So I just wait and see.
Thanks for your reply.
James
Grafter

Hi Enkel,
I didn't mean to imply that that was what you were saying.  I just wanted to make sure that everyone realise that speed is a global issue Smiley
Enkel
Grafter

Sorry, chaps, but this BT speed tester really is rubbish!  I give it my number, a couple of minutes later it asks for my PlusNet username.  After a further seemingly interminable wait it then tells me my line is configured for 1750kb/s and goes into hibernation.  No matter how long I wait it never gets any further.  No results at all.
At the moment I'm synching at 2380, configured for 1750 and  am downloading something at the magnificent rate of 28.9 KB/s - 15 minutes for 25Mb!  so why the discrepancy now?
Incidentally how do I get back from these forums to the portal?  Should I always remember to come to these forums in a new tab?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Enkel
Incidentally how do I get back from these forums to the portal?  Should I always remember to come to these forums in a new tab?

Go to the Home page and click the PlusNet logo (under Community Site News top right).
David
Enkel
Grafter

Thank you spraxyt.  But heavens, what a palaver!  Can't you, dear Plusnet, just put in a link to the members' page direct to make it all clearer for us poor souls who only visit these forums fairly irregularly?
And by the way, to all of you, especially James, I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear my problem was just a temporary glitch and we are now downloading at something nearer full speed (1.41Mbps).
Thanks, all.