cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Speed dropped

Extooth
Hooked

Line Speed dropped

My line speed has dramatically reduced since when i first joined up with plusnet. I was usually receiving around 7mbps however this has dropped now to around 5.2. Since my line speed is so low to start with, I can really feel the dips when doing online gaming or watching youtube videos for example. I have tried several times throughout the day to use the chat service but every time i visit the website it just says it is unavailable, phoning is not an option.

I have tested around religiously with settings and to no avail, the speed seems to be limited to 5.2 mbps.

Tests ive done:

- Firmware updates on router/modem. - All settings are correct and in working order.
- Directly using the master socket (My house does not have a normal BT faceplate with a master socket, so I used the closest thing to it that has the BT logo on it.)
- Only connecting via ethernet.
- BT Wholesale Speed test.

Some Line details:

SNR Margin
db

Line Attenuation
db

Data Rate
kbps

Max Rate
kbps

POWER
dbm

CRC

Speed test results close to this everytime: http://speedof.me/show.php?img=161122015708-404.png

This problem has been around now for a few months, and im starting to pull out my hair over it. There is no other thing i can think of that ive not yet tested.

Regards,
Chris

Update: forgot to mention I use my own router, a Asus rt n66u together with a td 8817 modem. I have tested with a bt router and plusnet router with similar results, all around the 5.2 mbps mark, never higher.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): I have edited the post to make it more readable by getting rid of the extraneous characters.

4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Line Speed dropped

Extooth
Hooked

Hehe, recently moved house and I was used to the same, was a nightmare when you're more than 1 person.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have you tried a different speed tester?

That one massively underrates my connection.

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=161122170853-5303.png

21/5 compared to

Extooth
Hooked

Speedofme and speedtest both give me similar speeds each time, however the bt wholesale test commonly shows me in the area of 4.65 mbps.