cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Settings after migration

Peter45

Line Settings after migration

Think I may be in a similar position to a previous poster - moved from LLU to IPStream Max back in May/June (Downstream went up, initially to around 7200 kbps, upsttream went down, to around 400 mbps or lower).
I had already had a new BT line laid to the house and removed all extensions to get a good consistent service.
Migrated onto 21CN about 10 Aug: downstream went down to 3000 kbps and has since slowly worked up to about 7000 kbps and upstream went up to about 500 kbps and since improved to 1000 kbps.
My Netgear DG834N is syncing at 9873 kbps / 1204 kbps
Net of all that is that downstream is lower than it was before migration and upstream is very good but not quite as good as forecast (but downstream is extremely variable according to time of day).
One of the BT speed tests said that my 'profile' was still on 8000 kbps (hope I don't sound as though I know what I'm talking about).
A fast upstream was one of my key objectives so I'm fairly happy but rather doubt was all settings have been correctly adjusted?
Hope I'm posting in the right place!
Peter
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Line Settings after migration

Hi Peter,
I don't think it's a settings issue as you're already synching above the maximum possible on IPStream Max.
It looks like your line profile should increase a bit more soon, but currently it is set to 6500Kbps at both our and BTs end.
Peter45

Thanks for replying so quickly James.
Have I migrated onto 21CN (was planned 9/10 Aug and something certainly changed)?
The email I got forecast download speed at 11 Mbps - I seem to be achieving 7 (night time reading)...
I was secretly hoping that the Kitz (/BT?) forecast of 16 Mbps (on profile 14 kbps) is what I would actually get (but realised that this is a trial and I should wait and see). Incidently my downstream attenuation is 29.5 db and a crow would fly 1.07km to reach me from the exchange (road distance 1.8km) - don't know if that's relevant.
James
Grafter

Hi Peter,
You're certainly on ADSL2 (21C).
It has been known to take a period of time for the line to stabilise out on its optimal level, so I'd give it a bit of time yet.
Peter45

OK - think I've given it a bit of time to adjust...
Currently syncing at 9727 up and 440 down - achieving (22:30 tonight, best reading all day) 5655 up and 315 down.
What happened?
On 22 Sept, when I last checked, my actual was 10,000 up and 1,000 down and getting faster.
Something must have changed in the last 2 weeks or so?
Peter
James
Grafter

Interesting.
Your connection appears to have been interleaved.  I take it that's not something that you will have instigated?
Peter45

Considering the effort I put into setting up the best possible environment for 21CN (recabled BT wiring to the house, waited until I knew I / BT had achieved a stable fast link,  taking out internal house extensions)  I suppose I do feel a bit disappointed.
Despite (because of?) reading numerous posts on this website I think I do not understand how full 21CN capability is ever achieved - but I do recognise that I am not reading the posts of people who have achieved 16Mb downoad and 1.6Mb upload speeds (oh to join them!).
Sorry James - the short answer was No (do I mean "Yes"): I have certainly NOT instigated interleaving.
James
Grafter

Hi Peter,
I've placed an order to remove interleaving.
I've also clicked a button called "recalculate FTR" which *apparently* is meant to relax the DLM aggressiveness.  I'll be interested to see if it does anything as I'm a little sceptical.