cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Noise With Broadband Connected

joem

Line Noise With Broadband Connected

Hi everyone,
I have an issue with my telephone/broadband.
When making calls on our telephone, there is a very prominent hissing over every call, and the occasional weird pops and crackles as well.
At first I assumed this was our line, but when I removed the broadband wire from our microfilter (thus disconnecting our broadband connection) all that noise vanishes instantly and I have a nice clear line.
I thought our wireless router and wireless telephone were interfering (wirelessly!), but whether our router is on or not is not the problem, the noises on the line only starts when the router is connected to ADSL.
Any ideas?
I assume this may be a case of get a new microfilter and replace all our wires?
Although I have swapped our microfilter for a newer unused one it didn't seem to make a difference. What is odd about this as well, is that this doesn't always happen, it can become hissy sometimes with no correlation to a certain time of day etc.
Maybe our router's ADSL modem is playing up?
2 REPLIES 2
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Line Noise With Broadband Connected

If you've tried swapping the filter it sounds like it could be the router. Any chance of you borrowing one to confirm that?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Line Noise With Broadband Connected

Typically this problem would be a faulty microfilter.  Is your hissy telephone plugged into the same microfilter as your router?  If not, is your hissy telephone actually plugged in to a microfilter?