cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Length registered in BT Openreach/Wholesale is inaccurate. Need help changing it to be correct.

ExtremeZero
Grafter

Line Length registered in BT Openreach/Wholesale is inaccurate. Need help changing it to be correct.

Hi there. Once again I'm having another issue (Thankfully not as bad as the last one)

I’m wondering if the information about the length of my line registered in BT Openreach and BTWholesale as 3km minimum can be changed due to it being inaccurate with what my actual length of the line between my house and the cabinet is. The reason is because the estimated speed may be impacted by mistake because of the recorded length being longer than it should be.

The actual length of the line is around 2.5km. I am able to get this information from my line attenuation, navigation software from my house to the location of the cabinet and a BT Openreach Engineer that came a few months ago. The line is actually laid straight from my house to the cabinet so there should not be any issues with how the line was laided out.

My line attenuation is 34dB as of right now. Previously it was 42.8dB when I had the previous problem.

If you wish to know what my previous problem I had for six months well I'll put the short version.

Wasn't getting the speed I was suppose to get in FTTC due to my line attenuation being 42.8dB at the time, changed back to ADSL, BT enginners found a faulty tie pair in the newly installed cabinet. Took over a month without internet access. Back now with the speed back to normal on ADSL. But now I'm thinking of going back to fibre now that my line attenuation is right. However BT openreach/wholesale have registered my line as 3km minimum which is inaccurate with not only the line attenuation but with even navigation software. Hell the last BT openreach enginner that came a few months ago stated the line was at the most 2.5km.

Not sure why they would change the record of line length after the problem was fixed. But I'm hoping that Plusnet can help change the registered line length as it's actually effecting the estimated speed I am able to get when moving to Fibre which is a concern considering I was getting better estimated speeds when I had the problem that was causing slow speeds to begin with.

I've contacted BT but that went nowhere as expected.

3 REPLIES 3
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Line Length registered in BT Openreach/Wholesale is inaccurate. Need help changing it to be corr

Hi, If you are on ADSL  the line is measured from the exchange.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Line Length registered in BT Openreach/Wholesale is inaccurate. Need help changing it to be corr

Several observations on this -

1. I doubt whether recorded line length makes any difference to anything.

Attenuation, and noise measured on neighbouring lines will be more significant.

2. The line length (that matters) is Home->Cabinet on FTTC, or Home->Exchange on ADSL.

Perhaps your line length is 2.5Km for FTTC, and 3Km for ADSL ?

3. Attenuation is measured over a range of frequencies, it is not like using an Ohm meter to simply read resistance of the cable.

FTTC uses higher frequencies than ADSL, and higher frequencies attenuate more than low frequencies.

You can't assume FTTC attenuation will be the same as what you are currently observing on ADSL.

I'm guessing you have currently have 34dB on ADSL and had 42.8dB on FTTC

ExtremeZero
Grafter

Hi, If you are on ADSL  the line is measured from the exchange.

Yea you're right but the cabinet is literally right next to the exchange so the line is the same length regardless of ADSL/FTTC

I doubt whether recorded line length makes any difference to anything.

Attenuation, and noise measured on neighbouring lines will be more significant.

That was a thought of mine too as it's just recorded information but I'm just being catious just in case somehow it does. It's been a long six months of non-stop issues and I don't want another issue popping up out of the blue.

The line length (that matters) is Home->Cabinet on FTTC, or Home->Exchange on ADSL.

Perhaps your line length is 2.5Km for FTTC, and 3Km for ADSL ?

Nah. Already stated that the Cabinet and Exchange are next to each other. It wouldn't make sense for there to be a 0.5km difference if that was the case.

Attenuation is measured over a range of frequencies, it is not like using an Ohm meter to simply read resistance of the cable

.FTTC uses higher frequencies than ADSL, and higher frequencies attenuate more than low frequencies.You can't assume FTTC attenuation will be the same as what you are currently observing on ADSL.

I'm guessing you have currently have 34dB on ADSL and had 42.8dB on FTTC

Correct.

I will post the previous threads that were relating to the previous problem I had here.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/IP-Profile-has-recieved-a-small-drop-and-download-band...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Phone-Line-issue-Not-sure-what-s-causing-the-issue-that-appe...

I would like to note that my upload speed was around 1.2mbps while my download speed was at the same as on ADSL at around a range of 6mbps when I was on fibre. Is it wrong to assume that there should of been an increase of download speed if my upload speed increased as well? And is it wrong to also assume that there was no increase of download speed at all despite the estimates stating there should of at least been so, even a tiny little? I do like to think the Tie Pair was the major problem which is now fixed. But alas I tried asking for a free test to make sure that the fibre performance has improved which they don't do.