cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Fault? - BT Charges

ferraris
Dabbler

Line Fault? - BT Charges

Hi, I'm at my stepfather's this week and his connection has slowed to around 1Mb/s whereas it was around 6.  He doesn't have a master socket only a junction box and I've plugged the router into the socket nearest the junction box and it makes no difference.  He has had a new alarm installed which is wired directly into the junction box so this may be the problem but I've no way of knowing that.  His phone is fine witha clear dial tone.
I therefore want to report this as a fault but he is worried about the possible BT charges if it turns out to be a wiring problem.  Is it possible for Plusnet to do checks at their end without automatically invoking a BT call out?
His account name is ianrobinson12.
Thanks,   Simon
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Line Fault? - BT Charges

The alarm must be via a filter - I suspect from your comment that it isn't.
This will cripple the broadband speeds
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Simon,
We always try and help to avoid any potential engineer charges, and by raising a fault this does not automatically arrange for a engineer to attend your premises. We advise of the checks to make sure that you are correctly connected internally.
First make sure that any device connected to your phone line is so using a micro filter.
If you complete the checks at http://faults.plus.net that you have already started, this will then be tested by ourselves and we'll update you with the outcome.
Chris
ferraris
Dabbler

Thanks both.  Checked with the alarm installer and a filter wasn't fitted, will get that rectified.