cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting ethernet ports through telnet or ?

Superted
Dabbler

Limiting ethernet ports through telnet or ?

Hi, I've been having a lot of latency issues when others are watching videos (youtube mainly). I'm using a second router as an access point and have turned off my wifi on my TG582N, I've also turned on the gaming mode in the router home page but to no avail. Following this guide : http://npr.me.uk/ipqos.html I've put rules on all my devices and elevated my main pc but am having issues still, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with setting port priorities or knows of a better way to limit traffic, I would like to force the router RT-N12E (I know, no tomato  :-\) to only use 3/4 of my bandwidth and therefore all wireless devices would suffer the same fate, but am struggling to find a viable answer. I'm sure there is a way to accomplish this but I'm having no luck so far........
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Limiting ethernet ports through telnet or ?

I'm wondering if you are having latency problems either because of limited download bandwidth, OR because your upstream is getting saturated by the video streaming.  If you are on ADSL2 you might get better results if your upstream path is uncapped.
What are the sync speeds shown in your modem status page ?.
Superted
Dabbler

I've recently been moved to ADSL2, I believe the process will complete over the next few days. Here is my link info.
Uptime: 0 days, 3:51:38
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,280
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 21.68 / 407.94
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.9 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 35.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 9.7
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 25 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 115 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 170 / 3,376
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 147 / 235
HEC Errors (Up/Down): -47 / 235 / 1,009

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Superted
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
I've recently been moved to ADSL2, I believe the process will complete over the next few days. Here is my link info.
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,280
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 35.0

Your DSL Type being "G.992.1" is still just "up to 8Mbps" ADSL.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.992.1
When it has changed to ADSL2 then the status should indicate "G.992.3" or "G.992.5"
Using the Kitz ADSL speed calculator, it looks like your download speeds should double on ADSL2 -

Once your line has changed to ADSL2 or ADSL2+, come back to this thread and ask the Plusnet staff to uncap your upload speed, which will probably then also double !.
After all that, then see if you still have problems !  Wink
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I would not expect video streaming to saturate the upstream, and trying to do QoS on the downstream doesn't really make much sense. There's not much point having the router queue up data after receiving it from the (slower) ADSL line but before sending it out over the (faster) ethernet or wifi.
Those ADSL stats don't look very good, speed slightly low, high SNR margin, too many Loss of Signal errors. The Loss of Signal errors could be something to do with the router on 20CN ADSL1, and might go away once you're switched over to ADSL2+.
Superted
Dabbler

Thanks purleigh, I guess i'll sit tight.  Grin
ejs, the QoS was on the up and down, just for testing purposes, the line is pretty terrible out here and I was advised by support ADSL2 would be more stable. Over the past few months I've had many problems, so prioritizing my internal traffic is sort of where I ended up.
Cheers for your comments guys, if it doesn't work out I might have to get a tomato capable modem and limit every wireless device to dial up speeds  Grin
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

One more thing: for Plusnet's traffic management to work on the downstream data, your Plusnet Current Line Speed must match (or at least not be higher than) your BT IP Profile (do the speed test then click diagnostics after the initial test).
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Superted,
I can see we have an order in place to move you over to ADSL2+, we'll need to place an order to uncap your upload once this completes.
Superted
Dabbler

That sounds fantastic, let me know if I have to do anythihng!  Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
You shouldn't do, nothing needs to change at your premises and the router you've got will work fine on ADSL2+. Looks like the order is due to complete on the 19th (so, next Wednesday), hope it improves things for you.
Superted
Dabbler

In relation to the original post, I ended up buying a new modem and router, restricting the maximum bandwidth on everything except the main pc and imposing a guaranteed minimum bandwidth on that. So far so good apart from having to manually configure everything.  Grin
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Superted,
Glad to hear you found a solution to that, an alternate one could be unplug everyone else and be selfish Wink
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Superted
Dabbler

I did put a scheduler on my wireless  Grin  Quick question if anyone is observing this thread, is there any way to reset my ip profile from this end? Because I talk to the help and support center more than my own family.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

'fraid not superted, if they're less urgent requests for that then post them on here but please don't bombard us Smiley
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Superted
Dabbler

Sorry, most of my problems were substantial. Got angsty teenagers on my back  Embarrassed   I've been regraded to ADSL2 now, everything is much better, I've had a couple dc's but I have another router with DD-WRT I need to install tomorrow which will hopefully make things a bit less rocky. I was wondering about uncapping my upload as was mentioned by purleigh, if at all possible?  Grin