cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting Speed - Can It Be Done?

thejudge
Rising Star

Limiting Speed - Can It Be Done?

Whenever my Netgear DG834 v.3 reconnects and the downstream connection speed goes over about 6Mbps, I get problems whereby browsing, etc. get slower and slower over the next few hours to the point where it becomes unusable. The only option for me then is to reboot the router and try to reconnect at a lower speed.
Is there any setting on that router (or anywhere else) which would allow the system to refuse a reconnection above a certain speed?
5 REPLIES 5
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Limiting Speed - Can It Be Done?

I dont know if the DGT firmware works on this model, if it does then you can set a higher target SNR to gain stability (others can advise much more on this, I have no actual experience), alternatives are restarting the router when SNR margin is low (causing a lower sync and gaining stability) or buying a router that is more conservative in its sync (I replaced my PlusNet TG585V8 with a Billion BiPak 7402NX lost 1-2Mb on my sync but now hang on to a connection for weeks/months rather than days and I get far less slow-down when my line goes a bit noisy).  With the TG585V8 I could sync at 8Mb+ (I've even seen over 9Mb on a line with an estimated speed of 3.5Mb), the Billion typically syncs at 6Mb or 7Mb+ but gives stable and useable internet virtually all the time.  Unfortunately the 7402NX is rather costly but there are probably other routers that give the same benefits on less stable lines.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

This forum is full of complaints from people who have had their speed limited by the automated equipment in the telephone exchange trying to give them a stable line but being over-zealous.  This case seems to be the opposite.  Maybe disconnecting the power to the router every few minutes for about half an hour would do the trick and force the Dynamic Line Manager to raise your target SNR and drop your speed? 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Resync the router in the middle of the night
Certainly after dark as this will give the lowest speed
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi thejudge,
Technically we can prevent your modem/router from synchronising over a particular speed however we would recommend against this.  This should not be happening in the first place.  Perhaps it would be an idea to try another router to see if you get the same issue?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Do you have another router to test with?  Sounds like a router on its last legs, I also had issues with my old router that was 6 years old.  It had been constantly on for those 6 years and I guess finally burnt out, a new router improved that dramatically.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November