cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limited or no connectivity problem?

Pionier

Limited or no connectivity problem?

Hello Plus net Smiley
before I start - have to say that plus net is a really good brand and I have not any problem with internet since I join you Smiley so, good job guys Smiley
but since one month something strange is going on with my broadband - yes, I call to BT (they said line is clean) and also call to PlusNet and they made some Fault Checker - but still, sth is wrong.
I have a PC and Laptop, I have wirless router from D-Link, PC is connected by cable and laptop via wirless. and I'm connected to master socket.
what is a problem?
- The problem is the PC & laptop loses connection at what seems random times with the message "limited or no connectivity'. It's start doing like that since other friend with another laptop was trying to connect to internet I think...but now ther are not here any more.
the only way to connect me again is switch off the router and switch it on back...  is very frustrating.
what I have been try to do:
- buy new 2 microfilters,
- buy new router,
- restart router and setup it one more time like is said on plusnet webiste,
- switch off phone at all,
- tried updating the drivers,
- try play with power saving options on the the laptop's wireless card and my pc as well,
- plugged microfilters in to the test socket behind the master socket
but still have some problem, can't even play on Counter Strike like I do before. I have no idea what is wrong and I don;t want to pay £169.20 for some BT guy Sad
ping for bbc.co.uk - 36
ping for plus.net - 43
any ideas?
Kind regards,
Pionier.
11 REPLIES 11
samuria
Grafter

Re: Limited or no connectivity problem?

There a few options firstly the laptop may be on the same channel as someone else close by and not being able to connect this could swamp the router and make it unable to handle requests from the wired pc as its resending packet to the Laptop.
Get netstumbler free from http://www.netstumbler.com/  this will show anyone on the same channel as your self but will also show noise. if there is someone on the same channel change your channel to another one less used. You need to check this several times a day as other may come and go.
We need to isolate where the problem is so next time it happens do this.
Turn off laptop to eliminate it swamping the network.
You dont say what the router is but most have a diag page which lets you ping from the router if so try pinging from the router if that works ok then the router is ok. try by ip and name.
Try pinging from the pc and include the router again by ip and name.
Have you tried a new cable from the router to pc?
Can you post and ipconfig /all from the pc and laptop (start/run/cmd) and router model
Have you tried a factory reset on the router (dont do this unless you can set the router  up from scratch on your own)
prichardson
Grafter

I'm a little concerned by how far you have progressed this fault based on the detail provided in this message alone.
To clarify a few things.
The message "limited or no connectivity" is nothing related to the Broadband itself, but either a physical issue with local hardware, device positioning, cabling or software based issue.
Now, software based I am not convinces, as it's multiple machines impacted by this. I would have expected only one machine to be impacted. This does strike the question. Are you using wireless on both machines, cables to both or a combination (if so, what combination?).
Cabling issue is covered above questions, but it's unlikely to be a phone wire bassed issue, but ethernet cabling one.
Device positioning is also covered by the above, when it comes to wireless as already noted.
Physical device issues comes down to the modem, the cables between the modem and PC and PC ethernet cards themselves.
In all, avoid the BT engineer at all costs, he is not going to even entertain your problem and even if he does on the sypathetic off chance, he will likely leave it unfixed or most certainly file it as "Fault found on customer maintained non-BT equipment", which is a chargeable event.
My more serious concern is noted is how you have got here. Have you explained either in writting or over the phone, that you get te message "limited or no connectivity"?
Additionall, are you using Windows XP, Vista or other?
Pionier

Hi,
I'm sorry if you are both confused and frustrated, I'm not a expert on network etc heh.
I get netstumbler and installed it on laptop it can't find any network (have no idea about DHCP or SSID if that is the case)
I can't switch off the laptop as is no my but my roommate who is working often via internet.
I do mistake with name of the router - is not D-Link but Belkin (Wireless G+ MIMO ADSL2+ Modem Router) and the name of old router is Billion ADSL router with 4-port switch BIPAC-5100.
I don't see any diag page on router website, but If you can do it via cmd - ping 192.168.2.1 then result is attached (sorry but laptop is swedish).
I have not try new cable from the router to pc and factory reset on the router.
Yes, I was expected is a physical issue with local hardware heh.
this is my combination at home:
router
- cable - PC (no wireless)
- wireless - laptop
I have not  explained either in writting or over the phone, that I get te message "limited or no connectivity"... cose my old router was not inform me about it.
on PC I have XP 64 bit and on laptop is Vista 32 bit I thnik.
I get this feeling is sth wrong with my roommate laptop and his wireless but I don't know how to fix it.
thanks,
pionier.
scootie
Grafter

on the ipallpc. is it normal for the lease to be obtained a second later after it expires?
the laptop lease dosent expire till 2nd of feb
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The PC's IP lease expiry time being 1 second before the allocation time is definitely odd - it suggests there is a configuration error with the settings. From memory I thought the default lease time for Belkin routers was 12 months so if the expiry date was in 2010 it would be OK. However the IP lease for the laptop expires in 39 years plus a few weeks, I've never known one that long.
To try to resolve this I would be inclined to do a factory reset on the router, then set it up again, and see if this makes a difference. Is this practical?
David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Having thought further about this I wonder if the problem is that the TCP/IP stack on your computer has been corrupted.
From the screen shots it seems that your computer runs Windows XP; assuming that is correct, and based on information in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 299357 you can reinitialise the Windows XP TSO/IP stack as follows:
1) Open a command prompt window as you did for running the IPCONFIG command
2) At the prompt type  netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
When this command has completed I'm not sure if this is absolutely necessary but I would be inclined to restart your computer. After restart you should find there is a resetlog.txt file in your Documents and Settings folder. Attaching this to a future post might be helpful.
David
scootie
Grafter

spraxyt the op said this earlyer on in the thread.
Quote from: Pionier
on PC I have XP 64 bit and on laptop is Vista 32 bit I thnik.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks, I missed that when I reviewed the thread.
David
Pionier

Quote from: spraxyt
Having thought further about this I wonder if the problem is that the TCP/IP stack on your computer has been corrupted.
From the screen shots it seems that your computer runs Windows XP; assuming that is correct, and based on information in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 299357 you can reinitialise the Windows XP TSO/IP stack as follows:
1) Open a command prompt window as you did for running the IPCONFIG command
2) At the prompt type  netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
When this command has completed I'm not sure if this is absolutely necessary but I would be inclined to restart your computer. After restart you should find there is a resetlog.txt file in your Documents and Settings folder. Attaching this to a future post might be helpful.

Hi guys, thanks for feedback:
there is resetlog.thx as you wish:
&SUBSYS_81F81043&REV_12\4&279E7BDF&0&00E2.  bad value was:
            REG_MULTI_SZ =
                PSched
reset   Linkage\UpperBind for ROOT\MS_NDISWANIP\0000.  bad value was:
            REG_MULTI_SZ =
                PSched
<completed>
and I also reset the router to factory
(that is form my PC)
thanks,
Peter
spraxyt
Resting Legend

That suggests just those registry entries needed to be changed, neither of which are included in the "typical output" listing in the previously linked knowledge base article.
After factory reset I assume you went through router set up to connect it to Plusnet. The big question is have the two changes made any difference to your access to the router and Internet?
Does an IPCONFIG /ALL on your PC give the same output as before?
David
David
Pionier

Quote from: spraxyt

Does an IPCONFIG /ALL on your PC give the same output as before?
David

Hi Dave,
Yes is does the same outpot like before..
today I'll try switch off wireless at all and see what happend.
Thanks,
Peter.