cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightning strike = no broadband

AxeMurderer
Grafter

Lightning strike = no broadband

Just had a lightning strike nearby. Now broadband isn't working (fibre). I can get to the router, which is failing to connect. The modem is powered up, but the DSL light on it is not lit. So I think all my kit is working. Is there anything else I should check?
If the fault is external, how can I confirm it? Is there a website somewhere that would show the status?
9 REPLIES 9
houlton23
Grafter

Re: Lightning strike = no broadband

Does the phone work?
The lightning could have damaged some kit in the cab? (Are any lines overhead?) If so, the openreach 'monitoring station' will likely be onto it pretty quickly.
ffox
Pro

Quote from: AxeMurderer
Just had a lightning strike nearby. The modem is powered up, but the DSL light on it is not lit. So I think all my kit is working.

The strike could also have borked something inside the modem.  If things don't improve soon I should report a fault.  Is the land-line phone OK? 
AxeMurderer
Grafter

The phone is working. I don't know what was hit, but it was pretty Crazy close. Something went 'pop' in the living room, and the EMP fried a musical birthday card!
houlton23
Grafter

Do you know any other fibre users on the same cab? That way you can establish if it's the modem or cab.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Sadly not.
Temporarily up and running now via a 3G dongle.
The next chance I get (i.e. as soon as I have broadband again) I'm unlocking the modem so that I can get diagnostics out of it.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I can see that you have raised a fault and our faults team are now completing tests on your line.
Your fault ticket will be updated in due course.
Let me know if you need any help with this.
Chris
AxeMurderer
Grafter

All fixed now. It was the modem.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I wouldn't trust that modem as stable, I would ask for a replacement.  Having lost 1 pc and 2 routers in the last 5 years, if you can unplug the router/modem and anything wired to them during a storm.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
AxeMurderer
Grafter

It is OK - they have changed the modem, and its power supply. The old (fried) modem was running very hot post-lightning: it had the power and LAN lights lit, but the DSL light was out, and stayed out.
I had unplugged the PCs prior to the storm, but not the router or modem. Or, as it happens, my bluray player which hasn't worked properly since the storm either...