cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving and no wonder

donj53
Grafter

Leaving and no wonder

The outage on Friday muggins messed thinking my equipment at fault.Saturday back but slow so ran the BT speedtest.It said a download of 90k so checked router,synching at 164k.Reseated all and back up to rock solid 5632k sync.Unfortunately BT and its stupid DLM dumped me at 135k.Contacted support and told wait 72 hours and it'll go back up.Oh yes it did but only to 250k.At which point I decided mac code.Is it any wonder I'm leaving as I pay for up to 8Mb,bt screw up and I get dumped back to dial up days.
15 REPLIES 15
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Leaving and no wonder

Unfortunately BT and its stupid DLM dumped me at 135k.Contacted support and told wait 72 hours and it'll go back up.Oh yes it did but only to 250k.At which point I decided mac code.Is it any wonder I'm leaving as I pay for up to 8Mb,bt screw up and I get dumped back to dial up days.

The "operative words" being  "Unfortunately BT and its stupid DLM dumped me at 135k. "  so if you had been on any other ISP that relies on BT wires, then you would have had the same problem.... and if you ask for a MAC today, you will have to wait, (at least) 5 days before you get it, and then you have to wait for the "new provider" to "provide"  to you, (via BT lines ? ? ? ) and meantime if you had stayed with PN, after 72 hours your speed will start to climb back up... and you also have the forum on here to moan about it.  
I have just finished 3 weeks of extreemly slow speed,  (normally I "enjoy" 1.2 to 1.4 mb) but it started the big slide, down to 1 then 900k  then 800 then 700 then 500 and last week settled on 460k  ish...  I have been working with PlusNet Faults team, and they have eventually sorted out the problem...

donj53
Grafter

Exactly LLu for me.Stuff BT.Oh forgot to add it all dropped out again today.Reliable or what?
magnetism2772
Grafter

i've been considering  the BT DLM
realizing that its an automatic system delivering for millions of workers
and (theoretically a genuine attempt  to  solve a max BB capability ) to line
and  it does  work
try to imagine the number of people it would take to handle the same thing manually to
four million or so customers plus further new customers ?
the system with manual intervention is on the whole pretty good
except for the problems  folk encounter and speak of here
which is why  plusnet staff need to  handle ,  Its actually  a well designed /working system
magnetism2772
Grafter

Its the whole nature of this country  of trying to get  more from less
however I also rate LLU
but  certainly I do not  rate all of  the ISP's  the same who run them
I think the greedy country has ruined BB and thought to slice BB  to make extra money
and the tampering goes on
I hear London is to get a large portion of BT's investment
it received $5 billion from the EU to upgrade it BB for its customers
the greedy city of london not willing to hold off  getting a lot of this investment for themselves
look on your water meter to look on  how your BB is run,,
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: giro
Its actually  a well designed /working system
It flaming well isn't
One drop for less than an hour and your speed is crippled for days.
There is no justification for that as 24 hours maximum to raise the IP profile would serve the same purpose
magnetism2772
Grafter

except for genuine line faults I cant see why it cant update  itself after all it monitors  every line  constantly
and when it does not  plusnet  intervene on behalf  of its customers
I do know  many of the telephone lines need renewing ,  faults such as dry connection joints are common and water enters everywhere
happen daily
I get greater speeds on BT lines than I did on LLU
and ( not considering  lower amounts bandwidth)  for less
I've had no problems with my BB touch wood( my head)
edit
the network is mix of the new and old and just needs some  investment
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I suspect an early onset of  alzheimer's
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Oldjim
It flaming well isn't
One drop for less than an hour and your speed is crippled for days.
There is no justification for that as 24 hours maximum to raise the IP profile would serve the same purpose

Not the mention the time it takes to reduce your noise margin if the DLM decides to raise that.  No, to heck with it, I will mention the time it takes, approximately 400 hour per 3 dB!!!
And that's if it works properly.  Sometimes the IP Profile just sticks and requires manual intervention.
donj53
Grafter

Thats why I'm so fed up.I had a stable connection with not a glitch in over a year.BT screw up their system on Friday(uprgade 14.30 exchanges start dropping at 15.45).I didnt know so tried another router,test socket,filter etc.I then find out it's BT so put all back and left till next day.Unfortunately one bad connection and big bad DLM jumps in and now after 5 days I'm sitting with a 250k connection.Plusnet staff said after 72hrs it would move back up but they never mentioned that it would still be practically useless.I had no interest in leaving till this disaster and I'm afraid the support seem to be quite happy to lose customers as they ignored my question as soon as I said I had asked for a mac code.
Update-wish they had done this at the 72hr point and I wouldnt have gone looking elsewhere.Not back to normal but 4Mb now.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: donj53
....I'm afraid the support seem to be quite happy to lose customers as they ignored my question as soon as I said I had asked for a mac code.

Although that must run contrary to the Customer Service Manual, I imagine they were run off their feet as a result of the recent outage.  Can you blame them if someone who jumps ship at the first sign of trouble isn't their top priority?
bangorcity
Grafter

Can you blame them if someone who jumps ship at the first sign of trouble isn't their top priority?

this is besides the point dont you think? to me this is typical of plusnet actualy. when he requested the mac code would it of taken a big effort for someone from plusnet to give him a quick ring just to see if they could resolve whatever the issue was and therefore keep a paying customer? i have had the exact same problems and yes pn do get it right more so than most other ip's but they are far from perfect. i have realised that sometimes there is a need to kick up a fuss just to get heard or get a problem resolved.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi donj53,
I'm sorry to hear that the issues you have suffered have caused you to request your MAC. I have looked through your account and can't see where we failed to offer support, even after you had expressed your intent to leave plusnet. It's a shame that this one issue makes you want to leave as I can't see that you have had many issues in the past.
Jojo Smiley
carrot63
Grafter

The only good thing about the DLM, in my experience, is the "DLM opt-out" trial run by Plusnet. Prior to my line profile being taken out of the DLMs Quixotic control, I was restricted to 2 meg with a frequently rising SNR which solved nothing at all - in in the case of my specific it fault couldn't possibly have solved it. No DLM interference = 6 months of a stable line at 3 meg and 6db. As Jelv has said elsewhere, "the DLM is broken".
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think the worst aspect is the protracted delay in target noise margins decreasing or IP Profile's increasing. It probably leads to people rebooting multiple times to try and get better speeds which may just makes matters a whole lot worse.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)