cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave your router on all the time - Really?!

strider
Grafter

Leave your router on all the time - Really?!

If you want to ignore my rant and cut to the chase (where I need help) then skip this bit
<rant-START>
I take a mild interest in my ADSL speed (particularly in recent years).  I can remember when I switched to 2Mb and thought I could not really see the difference between the 1Mb that I use to have.  I upgraded to 8Mb (ADSL MAX - I believe) because it was cheaper than my 2Mb.  It was to all intence an perposes, rock solid, reliable.  I still seem to get 2MB, but there were other fring benifits like a bigger monthly allowance.
Recently I saw that the up to 20Mb service was available and it was cheaper than my up to 8Mb and again the montly allowance was bigger (lots!).  So I switched.  Before I switched I checked what my speed was: My Broadband Speed and my speed had improved to 4.125Mb.  I got an e-mail that said I might get as much as 7Mb which I thought would be cool.
The upgrade went well - well once I found out I had to set the DSL modulation to ADSL2+.  Except I still get 4.125Mb download speed and despite a rock solid connection, and paying less, I am erked that I am not getting a better connection speed.
The speed you get and the information from my router appear to be Voodoo.  But as I keep coming back to wonder why I don't get an speed improvement I have started to learn more.
I run my router when I need it.  I set it to disconnect after 30 minutes of inactivity and I turn it off at night.  An angle told me that if I left my router on all the time I would get a better connection speed.  So for the past 2 weeks I have left my router on all the time, which really goes agains the grain for someone who has give up toast to reduce his cabon foot print.  2 Weeks latter and my speed is exactly the same as it has been for some time.
<rant-END>
Here is the output of my router:
DSL Status: 	Connected
DSL Modulation Mode: ADSL2+
DSL Path Mode: Fast
Downstream Rate: 5645 kbps
Upstream Rate: 439 kbps
Downstream Margin: 12 db
Upstream Margin: 24 db
Downstream Line Attenuation: 38 db
Upstream Line Attenuation: 11 db
Downstream Transmit Power: 11 db
Upstream Transmit Power: 21 db

So is 5645 kbps my sync speed?
So I now go to the table on this Broadband Terminology > Throughput Speed (Data Rate).
I look at the sync speed below 5645 and my Throughput speed is 4.5Mb and low this is the speed my connection is set at.
1) So unless I can get my sync speed (5645 kbps) up I'm not going to get any better download speed.  Am I correct?
2) Has anyone else seen better performace by having their router on all the time insead of when they needed it?
Thanks in advance for anyone prepared to reply
S
PS - Yes, I know it is not just help with my boadband that I need  Crazy
25 REPLIES 25
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: Leave your router on all the time - Really?!

Quote from: strider
for someone who has give up toast to reduce his cabon foot print.
I hope it was a choice, rather than having to because someone forced you.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Downstream Margin: 12 dB

That figure is high - should be targeted at 6dB, which would most likely get you an improved download speed. Staff on here can get your target noise margin reset, or you can raise a ticket. We don't usually see staff on here at the weekend, so any request via the forum may not get actioned before Monday, although there are some exceptions.
strider
Grafter

Quote from: fourfourdevon
I hope it was a choice, rather than having to because someone forced you.

The move to bread from toast in the morning was my decision it only took me 2 weeks to get used to it.  I'm trying to make up for running 2 computers most of the time, though again I have just got a low power server to help.
Quote from: Jaggies
That figure is high - should be targeted at 6dB, which would most likely get you an improved download speed. Staff on here can get your target noise margin reset, or you can raise a ticket. We don't usually see staff on here at the weekend, so any request via the forum may not get actioned before Monday, although there are some exceptions.

So who controls the Downstream margin?
Is it tweaked manually?
MrC
Grafter

To be honest with a downstream attenuation of 38dB and ADSL2+ your line should be capable of quite a bit more than you are seeing (see Kitz's website for details). The fact that your sync rate is (very roughly) half of what should be possible plus your relatively high SNR margin means that you may have quite a high error rate and, if so, resetting the SNR margin will achieve nothing without curing any underlying problem.
Have you tried plugging your modem/router into the BT test socket (if you've got one of course!). What error statistics is your modem/router producing?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi strider,
I've applied to have the line reset so I will monitor this to see when it's taken effect and let you know what happens.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi strider,
After checking your line I can only assume you have your router switched off. I understand your reasons for not wanting to switch it off but your connection will suffer if you don't leave it on 24/7
Jojo Smiley
ratcatcher

I have read that, in order to get the best speed, I should leave my router switched on.  Is it also necessary (or advantageous) to leave a PC connected to it and also running or can I close down the PC without affecting my conection speed?
Ratcatcher
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can switch the PC Et Al  off, just leave the router on
strider
Grafter

OK I'm back.  Life got in the way for a bit but I am back now.
For the record.  I ran my router on 24/7 for over 2 weeks (It was switched off once in that time) and I saw NO noticeable improvement in broadband speed.  So I reverted to switching it on when needed.
I will again put my router on 24/7, I don't know if that means that my line needs to be reset again to make any difference but now my router is ON.
Thanks to all who have replied, especially MrC, the link the results were interesting.  If I could get near the speed it suggest on that (9568 kbps) I would be happy.
disfroot
Rising Star

Quote from: strider

The move to bread from toast in the morning was my decision it only took me 2 weeks to get used to it.  I'm trying to make up for running 2 computers most of the time, though again I have just got a low power server to help.

Ah - when you said you gave up toast to reduce your carbon foot-print, I thought you were saying you got fed up of burning the toast, then dropping it on the floor and treading the black bits into your carpet... Cheesy
It may be that the equipment BT uses can't recognise the difference between you intentionally turning your modem off when you're not using it and  your line being 'unstable'.  Which is a pretty pathetic state of affairs, if true.
grahamt
Rising Star

Just for a real-world comparison (rather than the Kitz optimum figure), my downstream attenuation is also 38, and my current downstream sync speed is 8503 with a downstream noise margin of 6.5 (in daylight - lower at night). That's a stable rate for me - currently 19 days uptime and counting, using a standard Thomson TG585v8 - and I reckon it's not bad given that my internal wiring is not optimal (no proper master socket or test socket).
With this sync speed I have an IP profile of 7.15Mb/s and a real throughput speed (as measured by MyBroadbandSpeed) of around 6.5Mb/s.
With the low speed you've been getting, I'm wondering if you might have similarly old wiring, but with your 'ring wire' still connected and causing interference. It made a big difference to me when I had the ring wire disconnected.
You can find out more about this here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
Graham
strider
Grafter

Hi Graham,
Thanks for the 'real-world' comparison.  Interestingly when I first asked for the upgrade I was told I could expect to get speeds of about 7Mb/s.
There are 2 possible things that may be causing me problems.  The one you mention, the 'ring wire' and for the cost of an appropriate socket I will have to get organised and fit one.  The other thing that may be causing problems is I have an RF (Radio Frequency) filter fitted.  When I first got broad band it caused lots of grief.  Took 3 visits by BT engineers to fix:

• I'm new to broad band I can't see what the problem is - it works fine on my laptop.

• Ah! The problem is this FR filter, mate.  I'll remove it.

• Listen to my test phone.  (Sound of radio station, quite clear).  I'll fit a broadband compatible RF filter.

I do wonder if the RF filter I have is compatible with the latest broadband (the up to 20Mb).
Thanks again for the reply
grahamt
Rising Star

You're welcome.
I have no experience at all of RF filters, but other people might be able to help you there. If none of them stumble on this thread, post a new message with 'RF filter' in the subject line.
Graham
strider
Grafter

An update.
I unscrewed my face plate to remind myself what sort of socket I had.  It looks like an old one with no master socket.  That said someone has already removed the ringer wire.  So it look like the only chance of an improved service is if I need a new RF filter. Ho hum...
For a bit of good news, my router has been up 3 days and this evening I got a download speed of 4561 Kb/s (up from my usual ~4250 Kb/s).